She went for the jugular

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, May 6, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

got stung today by one of my own girls. I wasn't even near the hives, but noticed that she was pissed at all get-out at something, then that something turned into me. I was by the side of the house and saw her pinging the side of the house repeatedly... as if she expected the house to back off. Then she started pinging my head so I made a mad dash for the door but she went in for the kill too fast and nailed me right on the jugular.

I'm pretty sure this is the same bee that's been harassing me the last 2 days... there's just been one but she's been all about letting me know how much she doesn't like me. When I was mowing the lawn earlier I put on my veil because I had to mow up around the hives and I know at least one of them has been a little hot, mostly because I keep having to disturb them like 2 or 3 times a week lately... and probably this same bee was out there harrassing me, but it was just that one. At one point it even looked like another bee tried to pull her off of me... but she wasn't having it. Oh well, she's dead now. Good riddens!

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there is always one in the crowd?

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Heh, yeah. When I last worked my hives my smoker threw a tiny little coal and it burned one of the girls right on the head but she lived... and I suspect this was her because she was acting all insane with pinging the house and whatnot.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

see it wasn't 'her' fault after all SgtMaj. seems to me she was just gettin' even with you for stinging her with that spark from your smoker. she was just gettin' a bit of justice as it were and as every self respecting hillbilly knows (meanin' me) vengeance is really about evening out the justice account. now the opposing forces of karma are settled up and all is well.

and do try to do better in the future Sgt Maj with that evil smoker you carry. don't make me send the HSUS down your way to straighten you out.

ps.... add your favorite funny face where ever you wish.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I read some place where bees can reconize faces. She knew your face from the burning was going to get revenge and did even if it cost her life. Of course she wqasn't in her right mind after being burnt on the head either.

Moral of the whole story is::: if you burn a bee just finish the job and kill her. saves you both a bit of pain.

:mrgreen: Al

6. Vance

Vance New Member

We talk all the time about bee's being "hot" well i quess she really did get hot. In more ways then one.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

LOL, true enough.

Well I was hoping it would be just this one, but today I had a few bees that I would classify as too curious... though they havn't been pinging me like the one that stung me did... still they are showing me far more attention than normal. I know just which hive they are coming from, too... I've taken way too much brood from them, and have had to cut away lots of excess comb built on the bottom of the frames some of which also had brood in it... and they're not too happy about that... neither am I to tell you the truth, but at least I won't be cutting away any more comb now, but I've got to steal two more frames of brood from them this week... my other hives need to start building up faster so that I can steal brood frames from them once in a while... lol This hive is just a boomer though, and it seems like no matter how much I take from them, they are back at full strength within a day or two. I really wish I wasn't taking all this from this hive... it'd be downright fun to see how much honey they could produce if they weren't having to draw out so much comb and replace so much brood. Oh well.

To be fair though, they were only showing me attention when I had just gotten out of the car which had an open bucket of warm honey in it from the cutout... I put the bucket out in the yard in hopes that they'd clean it up... but apparantly whatever they're getting nectar from now is a better source as they are completely ignoring it... I hope they clean it up though... there's a lot of honey there that's nearly cured, but not quite and will go bad if they don't lap it up. But hopefully all will be forgiven from the taking of brood with this honey offering.

On a side note, I have no idea what they are getting nectar from... but the clover is blooming and they are basically ignoring that, too... must be a really good source, whatever it is... either that or they are after pollen more than nectar since I keep taking their brood.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Plenty of white and red clover here also, I have not seen a single bee on any of it. Blackberries are blooming good right now and I think they are working that.