Shim Under Mating Nuc

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by litefoot, Jan 10, 2014.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

The title sounds like a Queen Rearing forum question, but I think it probably goes better here. I'm building a 4-chamber hive body mating nuc and instead of drilling entrances into each side of the hive body, I was thinking about placing a 1.5" shim under the hive body and notching it out on each side. Is the extra space under the frames going to create a burr comb problem. Am I asking for trouble? :eek: I'd like to avoid putting holes in a hive body that I may re-use one day.

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I would think it would be ok cause the bees wont be in each slot long enough to really build anything up

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You should provide some space but 3/8" is ample more and the bees need to climb the inside ofnthensuper and cross onto the frames. Rather than from the bottom board up onto the frames.
    Bee space 5/16" to 3/8" being a mating nuc you will not have to worry about to many bees with the brood time lost and restricted space for raising brood.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

actually if you are talking about converting a standard hive body into 4 compartments queen mating device then having extra room under the frames is much better than little or no space at all (beyond the occasional squashing of a new queen this also is prime place for the small hive beetle to thrive). 1.5 inches does sound a bit excessive and I would expect if you leave bees in there long enough and thing get congested that likely the worst thing you will see is some excess burr comb on the bottom bars. if we are taking about the same thing then the ones I set up here typically I use a 1/2 inch strip of wood in the same place it appears you are using an 1.5 inch board.

5. Lburou

Lburou Member

To add to the already good advice, I would point out another option that could serve your hive come hot weather and winter.

MannLake sells a mating nuc disc you place over a hole you drill in the hive body (I like 1.5 inch holes). Two holes can serve as your entrances while used as a mating NUC, with the added flexibility of ventilation while used as a super on a hive later in the hot weather or during winter when you need ventilation in the hive. Or, use a 3/4 inch hole and put a wine cork in it when you want to seal it.

I frequently use hardware cloth to block the entrance opening on the bottom board and a disc to control the actual entrance to the NUC. The disc can be set to close your two former entrances when you require it. HTH :)