Shipping Costs

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I called Walter T. Kelley co. today to see if they'd do free shipping through to the end of the year... no deal. So I started filling out an online order and got to the section to figure out shipping charges... HOLY SMOKES, it was so expensive my eyes bulged out like in the old cartoons. The shipping charges were 2/3rds the cost of the order. Ok, I know frames and foundation are heavy and bulky, but not THAT heavy or bulky. I figured out that they were charging $1 for shipping for each frame with foundation.

So to heck with that... if anything, I'd just drive up and pick it up in person, they are only about 4 hours from me. But I don't particularly have the time to do that this week, so I thought I'd just check with Dadant to see how bad theirs would be (by this time I was mentally prepared for the worst). Their cost for shipping my whole order was $86 on their website... MUCH more like it... that's about what I was expecting from Walter T. Kelley co.. Anyway, before ordering I thought I'd check with them, so I called and found out that lo and behold, the two branches of Dadant that are closest to me are offering free shipping until the new year... so $0 for shipping from them, and without that cost, the whole order came in a little bit under budget; gotta love that! :thumbsup:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That is good to know for the next time, although I got the same price from Dadant (albeit for the unassembled frames). But I think I would prefer the frames to be unassembled, otherwise it would be difficult to transport a whole lot of them.