Shipping honey question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bamabww, Jun 24, 2012.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Does anyone know what the USPS requirements are for shipping honey?

I have a couple of quarts I need to ship to family in Arizona and Michigan from Alabama. Besides secure packaging, anything else I need to do?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

should be good to go. Although UPS can be rough on packages I always prefer to ship USPS priority flat rate

3. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Packaged my quart jar (plastic) and the final package weight was 3 pounds 12.4 ounces. Shipping from Alabama to Michigan was $8.18. I went to USPS.com and paid / printed my own postage and saved about $2.25. Doing it that way also gives you free delivery confirmation and will notify the other person the box has been shipped if you provide their email address. I could have placed it in my mailbox for pickup but decided to get in the mail asap so I carried it to the post office.
    When asked the standard question by the clerk if any thing hazardous etc was in the package I replied that it was honey. She replied, "I'm sure you have it securely packaged." and that was it. Supposed to be delivered Wednesday.
    Easier than I thought.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suggest no matter what route you choose do not use glass.... no matter how well you think it is packaged. Double seal (via plastic bags) everything.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne:
    "When asked the standard question by the clerk if any thing hazardous etc was in the package I replied that it was honey. She replied, "I'm sure you have it securely packaged." and that was it"
    tec:
    " Double seal (via plastic bags) everything"

wayne, for some reason my postal peeps had me start writing 'liquid honey' on the outside of the package....not sure why, but i do ship alot of honey.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I think the PO likes the label so they know what is leaking out should the worst happen.

Personally, I have shipped glass many times with no problems. I do put it in plastic bags, and pack thoroughly with packing peanuts. I usually shake the box after packing, and if I can not hear anything moving, it's good to go.