Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the USPS requirements are for shipping honey?

I have a couple of quarts I need to ship to family in Arizona and Michigan from Alabama. Besides secure packaging, anything else I need to do?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
should be good to go. Although UPS can be rough on packages I always prefer to ship USPS priority flat rate

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Packaged my quart jar (plastic) and the final package weight was 3 pounds 12.4 ounces. Shipping from Alabama to Michigan was $8.18. I went to USPS.com and paid / printed my own postage and saved about $2.25. Doing it that way also gives you free delivery confirmation and will notify the other person the box has been shipped if you provide their email address. I could have placed it in my mailbox for pickup but decided to get in the mail asap so I carried it to the post office.
When asked the standard question by the clerk if any thing hazardous etc was in the package I replied that it was honey. She replied, "I'm sure you have it securely packaged." and that was it. Supposed to be delivered Wednesday.
Easier than I thought.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I would suggest no matter what route you choose do not use glass.... no matter how well you think it is packaged. Double seal (via plastic bags) everything.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
wayne:
"When asked the standard question by the clerk if any thing hazardous etc was in the package I replied that it was honey. She replied, "I'm sure you have it securely packaged." and that was it"
tec:
" Double seal (via plastic bags) everything"

wayne, for some reason my postal peeps had me start writing 'liquid honey' on the outside of the package....not sure why, but i do ship alot of honey.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think the PO likes the label so they know what is leaking out should the worst happen.

Personally, I have shipped glass many times with no problems. I do put it in plastic bags, and pack thoroughly with packing peanuts. I usually shake the box after packing, and if I can not hear anything moving, it's good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts