short questionnaire for ANY AND ALL beekeepers

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by thepandabetweenus, Sep 15, 2013.

1. thepandabetweenus

thepandabetweenus New Member

Hi, everyone! I am in the process of working on a graduation project for my senior year of high school that is supposed to center around researching and learning a practical skill. My mentor for this project is the administrator Iddee on this forum, and my final product is going to be a hive that I will maintain. For the research portion of the project, I am focusing on the products made by beekeepers and I'd like to get some firsthand information. Since one thing that my mentor told me is that if I ask a question to a group of ten beekeepers, I will get ten different answers and they will ALL be right, I'm hoping to get as many different answers as possible.

I tried to keep the questions pretty open-ended, so please answer if you have time no matter how much or little experience you have! I want to know about a wide range of set-ups, although the questions focus more on products than on beekeeping methods.

THE QUESTIONS:

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started?

2. Where are you and your bees located (country and state/region/province) and what is the property like? (size, climate, urban/rural, anything else you feel is relevant)

3. How many hives do you maintain, and what kind? Give as much detail as you feel is relevant!

4. What raw materials do you harvest from your bees, and what products do you make from those materials? (ANYTHING derived from the bees counts, and for this question in particular I would like as much detail as possible!!)

5. How much of each of these products do you usually make per year?

6. Do you sell these products? If so, how and where? (online, at a farmer's market, etc)

7. Why did you decide to start beekeeping?

NOTE: If you're comfortable posting it, or sending it to me in a PM, I'd like to have your full name so that I can use it if I cite your responses in my paper. If not, I can use your forum username just fine! It just won't look as professional haha

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK, lads and lassies, how about helping this young lady out. She needs an A on this to go with all her other A's. A B would get lonesome on her report card all by itself.

By the way, first time close to a hive, she laid her hand on the porch and let them walk over her fingers. She's a natural for beekeeping.

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

First My complements on taking on a research project on such a complex subject. My best wishes to you.

THE QUESTIONS:

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started? I am 51 i obtained my first hive at the age of 16. In that time I have moved from the country to the city so my bee ownership has been an interrupted series of periods. I have had much more experience with beekeeping of other peoples bees in that time. I came into posession of my current bees 2 years ago. Given the changes in beekeeping ove rthe past 20 years I beleive it would be most accurate to consider I have only 2 years experience.

2. Where are you and your bees located (country and state/region/province) and what is the property like? (size, climate, urban/rural, anything else you feel is relevant)

Reno NV just a few blocks from down town. Typical urban home lot. Our climate is High Mountain dessert. We have two large parks and an entire University campus located within foraging range of my hives.

3. How many hives do you maintain, and what kind? Give as much detail as you feel is relevant!
    At present 21 20 Langstroths 1 Top Bar. This is an ever changing figure.

4. What raw materials do you harvest from your bees, and what products do you make from those materials? (ANYTHING derived from the bees counts, and for this question in particular I would like as much detail as possible!!)
    Bees and queens. for the most part this is limited to production of new colonies for the expansion of my apiary. I have sold two hives this past season. Honey, and wax. Future plans include making soaps, skin lotions lip balms and cadnles from the wax and I am considering harvesting of propolis as well as sending colonies to Almonds. My main goals will be Honey, Queen and hive production. We also offer hive removal and swarm capture services to our local community.

230 lbs or more of honey this year. I have not measured wax and it was not all that significant anyway. nearly 200 queens and 15 colonies from various methods this year alone.

6. Do you sell these products? If so, how and where? (online, at a farmer's market, etc)

2 colonies sold this year via advertising on local craig's list. Approx half the honey sold at $6 per lb via word of mouth, family and friends. I have been asked to make woodenware but have declined as it cannot be done on a small scale and be profitable enough.

7. Why did you decide to start beekeeping? i come from a small Midwestern farming family history. Beekeeping has been in my family for 4 generations on a small scale. Basically everyone that had a farm had a beehive tucked away somewhere. Beekeepign is just one of an assorted long list of things I am familiar with. I suppose the simple answer is really something like. Because I can.

I will send you my full name in a PM but will tell you that Daniel is correct for the first name.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

1. I grew up around bees, my dad and uncles would hunt and mark bee trees and cut them in the fall and winter. In those days if you found and put your mark on a bee tree (even if it wasn't on your property) it was yours.I have been keeping bees (my own) for 49 yrs., i was 26 when i bought my first hives.
    2. My bees are located in SW Mo. in the counties of Greene, Dallas, Hickory,and St. Clair. My home is in Greene co. S. of Fair Grove, Mo. they are all located in Rural areas, woods and farm land.
    3. Over the years i have bought about every new breed of queen that came along, i'm now the proud owner of Mutts.The amount of hives i have very from year to year, usually between 65 and 75, i have 89 at this time.:roll:
    4. I produce strained honey, chunk honey, and comb honey, and thinking about making candles and other bees wax products this year.
    5. This is a hard one, it depends on the weather from year to year, as of yesterday i have extracted 41 five gal. buckets of strained honey and i think 8 supers of comb honey?
    6. I sell honey and produce at the Fair Grove, Farmers Market and from my farm.
    7. After i gave up my freedom and got married:lol:, we bought a house in Springfield, Mo. The barber i went to knew my family and he had bee hives, we would tell stories about our experiences with bees. Well when he said he could get into his hives without gloves and veil, i looked him in the eye, grinned and said, sure you can:roll:, he laughed and said, no, really. The only bees i'd been around were the German Black bees along the Big Sac river, and if you got close to there nest you would get stung.:eek: To make a long story short i order 3 packages of Midnight bees and equipment from Sears & Roebuck co. i couldn't believe how gentle they were, and i've had the disease ever since.:thumbsup:
    My name is, Jack L. Brooks,Good luck with your project, and if you want an A grade, don't mention my name, someone over there may know me.:lol:

5. BSAChris

BSAChris New Member

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started? 2 years - when I started I had just turned 47

2. Where are you and your bees located (country and state/region/province) and what is the property like? (size, climate, urban/rural, anything else you feel is relevant) Portage County, Wisconsin - I live in the middle of farm land, lots of potatoes, corn, beans, sunflowers, peas, and also a fair amount of wooded land.

3. How many hives do you maintain, and what kind? Give as much detail as you feel is relevant! Just 4 hives this year, 10 frame langstroths with plastic foundation. I have 2 hives set up with deep brood boxes, and two set up with medium brood boxes.

4. What raw materials do you harvest from your bees, and what products do you make from those materials? (ANYTHING derived from the bees counts, and for this question in particular I would like as much detail as possible!!) Honey and beeswax. I eat the honey (or give friends and family), and turn the beeswax into lip balm (way better than commercial chapsticks - a mixture of wax, honey, olive oil and lemon extract). This year I hoped to make candles too, but today my yellow lab got into my bucket of wax and ate most of it.

5. How much of each of these products do you usually make per year? This is the first full year of hives, I harvested 10 gallons, and will make a winters worth of lip balm and not many candles due to aforementioned dog.

6. Do you sell these products? If so, how and where? (online, at a farmer's market, etc) no

7. Why did you decide to start beekeeping? A friend conned me into hosting a couple of his hives last year. After that, I wanted my own so he had to find somewhere else for his!

​Chris Smith

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

This is to much like home work.
    Nice to meet you Panda. Welcome to the forum, beekeeping, and having Iddee as your mentor.
    Iddee You didn't answer her questions. I have to run out now but will be back to fill in some answers for you later.

Keith
    ps long user names get shortened here.

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

THE QUESTIONS:

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started? 4 years. 56 years.

2. Where are you and your bees located (country and state/region/province) and what is the property like? (size, climate, urban/rural, anything else you feel is relevant) Lawrence County, Alabama near the city of Moulton. My hives are located on my 35 acre farm. 16 acres of it are planted in 7 different types of hardwood. 12 acres are a mixture of grasses cut for hay. 4 acres are a mature "forest" like setting and the remaining 3 acres are my yard and two ponds. We are in a rural setting with row crops of corn, cotton and soybeans within 1 mile of my hives.

3. How many hives do you maintain, and what kind? Give as much detail as you feel is relevant! Started with 2 four years ago and now have 6. I have all Langstrom (sp?) hives and have a mixture of wax and plastic foundation. Unlike most, I have had better luck and production using the plastic foundation than the beeswax foundation. I don't have any idea what kind of bees I have but they are docile and good honey producers. My hives are in a straight line across the highest ridge of my property, elevation 639', and are separated by approximately 60 to 70 feet between each hive. They face south and are in direct sunlight from 30 minutes after sunrise and until about an hour before sunset.

4. What raw materials do you harvest from your bees, and what products do you make from those materials? (ANYTHING derived from the bees counts, and for this question in particular I would like as much detail as possible!!) Only honey, usually twice a year. One harvest toward the last of May or first of June and the second late August or early September. I have given some wax to a niece to make some lip balm but she has yet to give any back.

5. How much of each of these products do you usually make per year? Honey = 24 gallon has been my best year so far.(2013)

6. Do you sell these products? If so, how and where? (online, at a farmer's market, etc) Yes, off my front porch. I have a sign I put up on the road and the honey will sell in a couple of days. I have mentioned in on Facebook as well and get several orders from there also.

7. Why did you decide to start beekeeping? My grandfather was a beekeeper and my father-in-law kept bees for 27 years. I never saw any honeybees around my farm and wanted to get some hives established. Asking around I found out that a friend of mine at work had gotten sensitized to the stings and wanted to sell all he had accumulated; gear, bees and hive bodies. I bought him out and started my own hives from the one colony he had.

Wayne White
    Moulton, Alabama

​Good luck.

NOTE: If you're comfortable posting it, or sending it to me in a PM, I'd like to have your full name so that I can use it if I cite your responses in my paper. If not, I can use your forum username just fine! It just won't look as professional haha

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great questionnaire and wish you the best!

1. since college.......long time ago........[​IMG] (alright, no secret, jack knows i am 5' 4" tall.....oh i guess that's not part of the question.....okay i am 58......:lol: i graduated from college, well, when i was 5'6".......:lol: age 21/22 i guess)

2. elpaso, wisconsin, peirce county. this is a very rural area along a river (a very popular trout stream), with crops all around us. our property consists of woodlands, and crops, (soybean, and corn) our neighbors all have huge gardens, also fruit bearing trees, and we have lots of wildflower plants. we have also planted native plants/wildflowers for the bees. also, buckwheat and alfalfa.
    rural city residence, a different county......hmmm, mostly a rural urban residence, consists of mature woods. all of our urban neighbors have gardens and plant perennials that are bee friendly......i sneak my nucs and starter hives here, bees are not permitted, i am working on that to change with the mayor.

3. i like to keep about 10 hives now, (langstroth) and most of these are of russian genetics or mutts there of....2 deeps for wintering. i switched to pierco foundation some time ago. the wax foundation is nice......but........[​IMG] (it's okay jack you can give me he$$ about this).......[​IMG] i have kept different breeds of bees over the years and find that the russian breed works best for me and survives the best in our harsh winters.

4. honey, comb honey, make lip balm, some candles. ps i have lots of wax squirreled away.......[​IMG]
    also some of my customers want small bits of beeswax for their guns, bows, fishing rods, household uses etc......so i melt a little and give it to them.

5. harvesting honey.......in good years, can be upwards of 900 pounds, seems the last few years with all the drought and weather anomalies, maybe 3 - 500 pounds, if that. comb honey.....i gauge this on a flow, and use blank frames in supers for the bees to produce it. (no special equipment) with our drought and floods, no comb honey frames have gone in for 2 years now. in a good year, on strong hives, can get one or 2 frames of comb honey per super.

6. selling......locals and fisherman from all over the midwest, from the house. (sign out the front of the house). also, friends neighbors, my husbands colleagues, ...etc.......some internet sales.

7. i was born and raised in montana. in college, i met some beekeepers......sons of commercial keeps, some from montana, mostly north dakota. the north dakota boys didn't know how to fly fish, the montana boys did. so i taught the north dakota beekeepers how to fly fish and they taught me how to keep bees......well, i think i worked harder than they did, but it really didn't matter at the time.......:lol: been hooked on bees ever since.....always liked bugs......:grin:

i am a private person, so if you would like my name, i can send it by pm......
    thanks and best wishes to you.....:grin:

9. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

1 2 years, 37
    2 British Columbia, Canada. Bees are on my city lot in a garden shed with flight paths restricted to keep them out of human space.
    3 3 hives, local muts of Carniolan/Italian descent.
    4 honey, wax, venom for personal arthritic pain relief.
    5 200 lbs hone, 2 lbs wax
    6 I sell 100 lbs of honey to friends, gift and consume the rest.
    7 Started because I was given some equipment, but really it's the result of a fascination with bees that started in my teens.

10. camero7

camero7 Member

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started? Off and on for 30+ years. In my 30's.

2. Where are you and your bees located (country and state/region/province) and what is the property like? (size, climate, urban/rural, anything else you feel is relevant) All in Worcester county Massachusetts. One yard is in a suburb, the other 3 yards are in agricultural areas.

3. How many hives do you maintain, and what kind? Give as much detail as you feel is relevant! All langs. I run from 40 - 60 depending on the time of year and the flows.

4. What raw materials do you harvest from your bees, and what products do you make from those materials? (ANYTHING derived from the bees counts, and for this question in particular I would like as much detail as possible!!) I harvest honey of course. I also sell nucs throughout the summer and split my hives a lot to make nucs.

5. How much of each of these products do you usually make per year? Depends on the year. This year's honey production was poor. Probably around 25 - 30#/hive. Last year was around 50 - 60#/hive.

6. Do you sell these products? If so, how and where? (online, at a farmer's market, etc). I sold around 50 nucs of my own this year. I also sell nucs brought up from FL. Sold around 200 of those this year. I have a waiting list for my honey and sell by word of mouth. I'm usually sold out by Thanksgiving. This year I'm already sold out.

7. Why did you decide to start beekeeping? I started out as a job working for a commercial beekeeper.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Apis, I spent 90 minutes answering many more questions. A totally enjoyable 90 minutes. Hoping to spend many more.

12. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started? 2 years with bees and 72 years old when I started

Brown County, Texas and Comanche County, Texas. The two apiaries are 52 miles apart.

I maintain four hives in Brown County and two hives in Comanche County.

4. What raw materials do you harvest from your bees, and what products do you make from those materials? (ANYTHING derived from the bees counts, and for this question in particular I would like as much detail as possible!!) My bees have been in a serious drought since they were placed on the ranch, and I have not harvested anything.

5. How much of each of these products do you usually make per year? N/A

6. Do you sell these products? If so, how and where? (online, at a farmer's market, etc) N/A

I'm a naturalist. I love the great outdoors and all of God's creatures in it. I started beekeeping to help replenish bees. If and when, I ever harvest honey I intend to give it to friends and charities. I am semi-retired and am financially able to maintain this hobby without any return on my money.

If you private email me, I will send you my name. Otherwise, I am not inclined not to do so as it may still be on a "wanted" poster. :)

13. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Iddee:

You are fortunate to be a part of this girl's life. She is also fortunate to have such a mentor as you. Isn't it nice to see that in this day of and time of student chaos, that there are still some level headed, normal young people. She seems to be very smart and organized. Good on both of you, for being there for each other.

14. Spaztck

Spaztck Member

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started? This is my first year and I am 44.

2. Where are you and your bees located (country and state/region/province) and what is the property like? (size, climate, urban/rural, anything else you feel is relevant) I am in Warren, Ohio. I live on a dead end street on a little over an acre with lots of woods around.

3. How many hives do you maintain, and what kind? Give as much detail as you feel is relevant! I started with one, but already lost my hive. I got my bees very late (had to wait on the beekeeper) and I had a bad robbing situation. I plan to get two for next year. Learning as much as possible from my mistakes.

4. What raw materials do you harvest from your bees, and what products do you make from those materials? (ANYTHING derived from the bees counts, and for this question in particular I would like as much detail as possible!!) I will let you know, hopefully, next year.

5. How much of each of these products do you usually make per year? N/A

6. Do you sell these products? If so, how and where? (online, at a farmer's market, etc) I had nothing to sell but I do see other beekeepers selling at the fairs and the local farmer's market. Local honey is quite popular.

7. Why did you decide to start beekeeping? I stopped seeing bees over the last 5 plus years. Last year I hardly had any squash or zucchini, because there were no bees to pollinate it. My main goal was to help my veggie garden out.

Hope this helps.
    Joe Collins

15. kebee

kebee Active Member

1 When a kid around 8 with my dad, than 2 years ago, 75
    2 Lee county, Smith Station Al.,in my back 2 acre yard
    3 2 hives, Italians
    4 Honey, wax
    5 Only 3 gals this year, they didn't make as much as last year and leaving the little they have now for winter.
    6 Will usualy sell as I did last year but very little this year keep about a third for ourselfs.
    7 Saw no bees around here and though it would be a great hobby and get every body vegetable garden, flowers in better shape.
    8 Kenneth Allen

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

#1 - I have been keeping bees for around 12 years. I was around 39 when I first started. (a 4 year hiatus with the move to Nova Scotia and birth of my son).

#2 - I live in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, located in the Annapolis Valley, the breadbasket of the province. My bee yards (7) are scattered about with all being less than 15 minutes away. Most are rural, 2 hives would be considered urban.

#3 - 50 hives (double deeps) and a handful of nucs. All Langstroth.

#4 - Honey, beeswax (and I make candles from this as well as sell the wax), propolis. Hope to get into pollen next year.

#5 - Tremendous variation of volume, all based on the type of beekeeping I am doing that year. ie: pollination, selling nucs, doing splits, etc.

#6 - Farmers Market, word of mouth.

#7 - Started as a hobby, needing a diversion from a stressful job. :lol: Not sure how well that worked out.
    I became addicted when I watched a program on PBS called Nova, Tales of the Hive! :thumbsup: I was hooked right then and there.

Perry E. Brandt

17. BhaktiBee

BhaktiBee New Member

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started? I am 52 and I just started "keeping" bees this summer, May of 2013 (or are they keeping me? :wink: )

I live on my land (over 30 acres) with the girls, in Michigan, Newaygo County. I am surrounded by another 100+ acres of wooded land AND several meadows with lots of wildflowers. I believe my growing zone is considered 5A.

I've just the one hive now, but i'm afraid I've been bitten by the bug (DOUBLE pun! I rock!) and will be getting more next year, at least 2 more.
    the honey is flowing and we have removed our 1 honey super to spin some sweet yummy goodness. The remainder of my hive has been left for my girls (the bees) It is a Langstroth style hive consisting of 2 deeps and 2 supers. The girls are Italians and I call my Queen Isabella.

As i mentioned above, I will be getting honey from the super I removed but I am not sure how much a 10 frame super will yield. I have also been collecting the propolis as I have been maintaining my hive and plan on giving it to some of my luthier friends up here that make guitars and violins and other wood string instruments. Propolis is the substance that bees make to seal their hives with, it is is soft and VERY sticky when the girls make it and when I scrape it off, but it dries to a hard, almost powdery state when frozen and crushed to a powder. It is in this form that it is added to whatever concoction you (the Luther) is using to finish their piece. Propolis is one of the magic ingredients in a Stradivarius violin.

As this is my first year, with just the one colony, I wont be able to tell you that till next year.

I will probably sell if I do well this year and if i feel like going through all the rigmarole of becoming official.

I live on all this beautiful land on this beautiful planet and do whatever I can do to give back and make better the short time I have, Raising bees just seemed like a natural fit for me, especially knowing that they (the girls) need as much help as they can get.

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:
    Thanks for posting the questionaire---It gives us a chance to learn a lot more about our friends on the forum. This is the kind of information I always look for when I go into a member's profile page---usually there's nothing to find and I close out diappointedly. Now we're getting a full load of info, thanks to you and the pictures we have of each other are filling out.

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started?
    I started with bees in 1972, when I was 33 years old.
    In Israel, in the south central region, about 20 km from the Mediterranean sea, 16 km NE os Ashkelon. The area is an agricultural one with orchards (peaches, persimmons, avocados), and field crops (sunflowers, melons, cotton, chick-peas etc.), changing from year to year. The climate is Mediterranean--(hopefully) rainy winters (Oct-March) and dry rainless summers (April-Sept.). Winter temps can sometimes go below 0 C (32 F) and summer temps will sometimes reach 38 C (100 F). Most summer days are sunny, cloudless, relative humidity (in my region) 50-80%
    At the moment, I have three hives. Queens are from Italian stock. Over the years I have generally maintained about 20 hives, although for a short period I had about 50.
    Honey (used raw or in making mead); Wax, sold for making foundation sheets, used in making furniture polish, shoe polish, waxing threads; Propolis, for chewing for sore throats, also extracts in ethyl alcohol for use as an anti-fungal treatment.
    Honey: anywhere from 50-400 Kg (not lbs). During the past three years, when I reduced my holdings, about 50-80 kg.
    Honey I've sold (to neighbors, friends, collegues at work, word-of mouth-customers). When too much accumulates I sell excess wax to may beekeeping supplies merchant. For the past 6 years I haven't sold any, giving it to famliy and friends only.
    My answer here will stunn most readers. I moved to Israel in 1966, intending to make a living from agriculture. 1972 was a Sabbatical year, when most agricultural activities are Biblically restricted. I decided to "move" into a branch of agriculture without sabbatical restrictions and taking the advice of a good friend (not a beek) came up with bee-keeping. I had been sudying in the Hebrew University's college of agriculture, majoring in plant protection--biological control/entomology so the shift came naturally. From that point on I stuck with bees.
    Iddee has my full name from a PM correspondence we had when I joined the forum. I give him permisssion to release my name to you, but not to the public :grin:

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

panda.....i am really enjoying reading the responses posted here, i hope others continue to join in. it is very cool to read each and every one!

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

A snip followed > by my answer...
    THE QUESTIONS:

1. How long have you been keeping bees? How old were you when you started? >Just a bit over 50 years. I got my first hive when I was 12.

2. Where are you and your bees located (country and state/region/province) and what is the property like? (size, climate, urban/rural, anything else you feel is relevant) >Brazos County Texas on about 13 location most of which are undeveloped cattle pastures (typically very large acreage and I don't know exactly how much since these all belong to other people). A very rural setting over all.

3. How many hives do you maintain, and what kind? Give as much detail as you feel is relevant! > about 200 + another 50 or so at the Texas A&M Beelab.

4. What raw materials do you harvest from your bees, and what products do you make from those materials? (ANYTHING derived from the bees counts, and for this question in particular I would like as much detail as possible!!) > My first product is of course honey and the production varies quite a bit by season. This year I have harvest a bit over one ton. My secondary product is queens and nucs... total product here is about 100 nucs and 100 queens (some of the queens I purchase and some I raise myself).

5. How much of each of these products do you usually make per year? >stated above.

6. Do you sell these products? If so, how and where? (online, at a farmer's market, etc) >I sell all my honey at the local farmer's market.... nucs are sold typically thru bee clubs contacts and by word of mouth.

7. Why did you decide to start beekeeping? > originally beekeeping was a 4H project... this time around (about a decade ago) I started beekeeping as a 'retirement' project.