Should I remove my 2nd honey super?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by lakedawgs, Sep 5, 2017.

1. lakedawgs

lakedawgs New Member

HI

I added a honey super in spring. After all the comb was drawn out and the bees started filling it I added a 2nd super. The second super is fully drawn out but there is little to no honey in it. Should I go ahead and remove it now? I live in central Indiana and I do not see the bees filling and capping it before the end of October.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Matt

2. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

I would, but I am dealing with extreme SHBeetle pressure here.....extra space is a problem. Are you harvesting the honey in the other super at the same time? The frames will need cleaning before storage or freezing if you have space.

3. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

cc, have you tried either greasing the legs on your hive stands or treating the ground below to try and knock out some of those beetles?

4. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

I think they are good flyers but supposedly can be excluded by attaching baffles coated with a product called Never Wet to the bottom board and bottom of the first brood box. There is an explanation on Youtube. The claim is they fly into the hive entrance and light on the bottom board before crawling up into the hive.

I have the materials, just need to get some cut, treated and installed. I have a new colony i caught just a few days ago so they are a perfect trial case.

I am hoping the fire ants would control the pupal stages in the ground. There are plenty in my yard! Ought to be something good they can do! But apparently they are not so effective. I may try salt.

5. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I use old motor oil and soak the ground lightly under the hive area.( yeah I know the epa may get there undies in a bunch)this way it destroys the breeding areas for the beetles and has no ill effect on the bees...you got your hands full with those fire ants.... what is your location again?

6. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

West Central Alabama. Fire ants came into the port of Mobile in the early 1900's. Part of life here. So far they don't seem to be any problem for my bees. Only ants i ever see in a hive are sugar ants.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I use pond liner under my hive stand, I put Amdro ant block under it. We have raspberry crazy ants here as well as fire ants. The fire ants are easier to get rid of.

Most of my yard gets beneficial nematodes, but the apiary is so dry I can't keep the nematodes alive. They pretty much eat all ants grubs and SHB larva