Should I requeen?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by afterburn001, Aug 26, 2011.

1. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Scenario: We have two *backyard hives, one Italian, One Russian. I have always
    been able to sit within seven feet away and watch them. They even land on me and
    give me a taste. In the past 2 weeks I have been chased out by one of the
    Russians guards. Even when I'm more than 30 feet away one will sometimes come
    after me. I was washing the car on the other side of the house today and one
    started hitting my head, even there. One chased me all the way to the door and
    stung me in the eye a week and a half ago (I was a pretty boy for a while). I
    checked and the queen is still there. Should I re-queen? I don't want the bees
    chasing the neighbors.

I would hate to re-queen as this one is an egg laying machine!

*The hive is healty
    *Full of honey
    *plenty of brood
    *top feeders on board and full
    *I have observed only a few wasp and one bumble, they took them out quick!

Thanks!

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suggest you first try robber guards.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Is it just one bee that bothers you, or is it a whole squadron of them flying after you?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Along with the robber guards, I would quit feeding for awhile. The smell of the feed in the air may be putting them on the defensive.

5. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Yes, typically it's just one bee, I know, big deal huh? I just don't want a neighbor getting freaked out.

I have been using entrance feeders but filling them four times a day was getting old so I went to a large top feeder. Maybe now that I don't have to pull their jar 4 times a day will calm them down :beg:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Entrance feeders this time of year is an invite to robbers. Use them in spring only. That was likely your main problem.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I say toss those entrance feeder before you hurt someone or yourself with the EVIL device. have you ever wondered how many new bee keeper eventually manage to kill a hive with something as simple as an entrance (boardman) feeder?