Should I split, requeen or use a package?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Mar 21, 2014.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

​I have 2 hives. 1 died. The other one has been out and bringing back a lot of white pollen. Not sure where it's coming from. My question is, should I try to split this hive to get the 2nd hive up and going? If so, how do I do it? And, should I kill off the queen that was in the hive that lived? I've read that a 2nd year queen will swarm. I have a package of bees on order, but would like to save the $165 if possible. Is splitting hard?

Jason

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Yes splitting is possible. Wait till Middle of the dandelion season before spiting or when queens are available. The easiest way is to buy a queen and introduce her. The small price of a queen will be recovered by the extra honey that the hive produces because of faster build up. when you get the queen go thru the 2 colonies find the queen as you do not want to move her and make up the new hive from brood from the remaining 2 hives. Create all 3 so they are equal, plus shake the bees off an extra 3 or 4 frames to account for drift back. do this in the late morning 10:00 Am leave them queen less till 2:00 Pm and put the queen in the split and allow the bees to release the queen.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you are quite correct rw02 in that with a decreasing pheromone footprint as the queen grows older and the hive gets more and more populated often time this induces swarming. out with the old and in with the new! of course placed into a smaller box with a much smaller population and this problem vanishes. I would do pretty much as Apisbee describes above... for newer beekeeper I ALWAYS suggest they buy mated queens < and if you have limited numbers something that will add a bit of genetic diversity to you apiary.