Should I take my supers off?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Aug 28, 2013.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I have 2 hives. On both hives the deeps are approx 80% full. So I put on supers. No queen excluder. Both hives have bees in the supper and wandering all over. But aren't drawing out any of the foundation. It's looking like this might be the 2nd year of keeping bees that we don't get a drop from them. What should I do?

Jason

2. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I would take the supers off. Then steal a couple of deep frames from the deep box, & feed them enough to fill up both deep boxes. In the meantime I would be enjoying a gallon or so of honey that came from the two deep frames. That's what I would do.

3. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

On second thought I might leave the super on, & let them build out come with what you feed them. That way next year they at least have a head start on packing honey away in the super.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would see how much feed I could get them to take before frost. If the super was still empty at first frost, I would remove it then.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Jason, I am with Iddee. Here in central Indiana, we are 2-3 days from full bloom of golden rod with Asters to follow. Clover is still very bountiful also. At least you will have some drawn frames and at most, some very delicious fall honey if you don't mind the unique aroma.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

RW--‚ÄčAll of this is assuming that you are talking about a second deep, above your brood nest:
    If your 80% full frames are filled with honey, and not honey mixed with syrup, I would say, "Take some honey". After two years you deserve to enjoy at least some of the produce your girls have collected. Two frames removed from each deep wouldn't leave them helpless, particularly since you can expect the goldenrod and aster nectar and pollen to come in before the frost sets in. When you remove the honey, plan your schedule so you can return the extracted frames to the hive after one or at most two days. I would also suggest that you remove the unbuilt (medium?) super so that the bees fill up the super from which you've removed the honey. If you se things really going well, you could return the medium to collect the excess honey above and beyond filling the second deep. If there's honey coming in and the bees need the room, they'll build!

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I pulled supers early then the weather warmed up and I had one hive swarm and another probably came close. Better to have some partially filled supers than bees in the trees. I dont think they will neglect filling the deeps.