Should I use this or let the bees start over?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bamabww, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Out of a 10 frame super here are the frames from one hive i used 100% beeswax foundation held in place with bobby pins. I was wondering if the two frames that are so deformed should be just cut out and new foundation put in its place, just trim the deformed area off or allow the bees to adjust as necessary? What would you do?

I'm kinda thinking any foundation is better than no foundation but would appreciate you opinion.

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wayne, I have limited experience but my first instinct would be to use them. Of course, I may be tempted to freeze them once to kill any moths or coodies if present. It's amazing how they can clean and fix their comb. I would trim up any portions of the comb that were shooting off in any direction but down to keep them from bridging over to the next frame once in the box.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would do just as Dave suggested.

Throw a swarm on that and you would be amazed what will happen in just a couple of days.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If you where going to put then in the brood chamber for brood rearing No. But for honey frames cell size does not mater. The bees will repair the damage, but with no wires to support the wax during extraction they may not hold up to well in the extractor.

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Yeah, I got lucky on that one. All of these have been through the extractor once and survived.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I guess I think along different lines, I would probably just cut out the wax for candles, and just pop in some wax coated plastic foundation (however if natural wax is your thing just use them as is). :thumbsup:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne, like all here, that's good comb! your girls will fix those up and you will never know the difference, so don't trim anything.
    i am with apis on sending them through the extractor ......so i am surprised you didn't have a blow out. you might consider doing some comb honey, or chunk honey off the frames of the cleaner wax.... not from the one of the last pic, the wax is stained.
    :thumbsup:

oops, i posted the same time perry did.....darn internet speed!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If that damage was done the last time they were in the extractor you didn't get off lucky. I would not call those surviving.

9. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

That's the way they came out of the hive before they went into the extractor. I took it very easy with these 4 frames in the extractor. That's why I said they survived and where the luck came into play.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would likely try to reuse frames 1 and 4 and would put new wax and wire in frames 2 and 3.