Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginning beekeeper and after watching a lot of videos, was thinking about trying the single brood chamber technique. But - I have no access to drawn comb, just foundation. It sounds like you need drawn comb to pull this off. Is that right? Am I missing something?
Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just to clarify you are talking about a single (10f) deep colony, right?
The bees will draw comb when the conditions are right.

Are you starting with a Nuc or a Package?

If you start with a Nuc you will get drawn comb, add foundaton frames to the outside of this and a frame feeder and maybe a foam spacer to get them started.
Don't give them too much space, but be ready beacuse one frame of brood makes 3 frames of bees.

Reactions: Wil

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a beginning beekeeper and after watching a lot of videos, was thinking about trying the single brood chamber technique. But - I have no access to drawn comb, just foundation. It sounds like you need drawn comb to pull this off. Is that right? Am I missing something?
Thanks.
I prefer sticking with the same size boxes for brood and honey. I use 8-frame mediums. When I started 12 years ago quite a few experienced beeks were starting to switch from deeps to mediums because of the significant weight difference and the convenience of uniformity. Both reasons made good sense to me and I’m glad I followed suit. Of course with all things bees, everyone does it a little different and you may have heard about significant advantages to deep brood boxes, but I’m not aware of any.

·
Administrator
3,678 Posts
Bees do seem to like deep brood boxes, and I still have deep brood boxes so mine each have one. One has 2. And then Illinois Medium supers on top, 10 frame. I bought a van load of 10 frame equipment in 2012 and until it wears all the way out, I'm 10 frame. to pull honey I use deep 5 frame nucs. So it doesn't matter the frame size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts