Six day old swarm

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RE Jones, Jul 15, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

The swarm that I caught on the street in front of my house is doing great!

I opened them up today to see what they had been up to. The ladies have been extremely busy. Four deep frames, two with foundation, two without, completely drawn out. There is nectar in one of those frames, do not know where they are getting it at, but they are. These ladies are the most gentle hive that I have. They completely ignored me while I was doing my inspection. I did not smoke them at all, as I wanted to see what disposition they had.

My TBH is also bringing in nectar as the last two bars they drew, they cross combed and I had to remove some of the comb. They were loaded with nectar, almost honey as it was one sticky mess. The bees did get irrate as I was cutting this comb out, which I expected. They are now missing one guard bee that got a little overzealous and would not leave me alone 100 feet away from the hive.

All in all, a great inspection today and I feel fortunate that I am not having to feed and feel great that the ladies are bringing in nectar and pollen from some unknown source.

I had a young man who I met at the last beekeepers meeting with me today. He is taking a bee-keeping course through the University of Florida and needed to "shadow" a bee keeper. I told he was welcome to come over and watch me, although I do not know how much of a beekeeper I am. He seemed to be really interested and wanted to know if he could keep in touch. I told him sure.

He is loaded up with classes and will not be able to start keeping bees until later in the year. He has several acres to keep bees on and a large garden. Hopefully we have another one hooked.
    Robert

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good on ya for being a mentor. Just letting somebody get their hands dirty is enough to see if they really want to jump into this hobby.

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Glad your swarm is doing well. As for a new beek, it is the best thing you can do,:thumbsup: next time let him open the hive.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

nice find on the swarm, they sound real sweet, my hives at the house are bringing in nectar also still not sure from where but I had to add a 5th box to 1 hive this afternoon, I still have not gotten even 1 swarm, hope to 1 day