Six days since combining hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jun 18, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Just checked my combined hive and all looks good?? I removed the remaining newspaper between the 2 brood boxes, although the bees had most of it eaten away, I saw the queen up in the top brood box running around checking cells. They seem to have combined nicely and a lot of the drone brood from the queenless hive seems to have either hatched out or removed by the bees as I didn't see a whole lot of drones in the hive. Since I'm down to one hive and have a large amount of bees, I removed the entrance reducer and opened it all the way. I was expecting more frames to be drawn out in the upper brood box but I feel like the combining set the bees back a bit. I stopped feeding about a week ago on advice from my friend. There doesn't appear to be any new stores but they don't look like they are using any of what they have. Lots of activity outside the hive all day. Tons of bees coming and going. Doe's this sound like a successful combination to you more expirienced keepers? :roll:

2. rast

rast New Member

Sounds like a successful combine. Regarding feeding, I don't know your flow, they may be using all they are bringing in to raise brood. Keep an eye on the queen,s laying.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member