Skunks

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by lil grain of rice, Sep 24, 2009.

1. lil grain of rice

lil grain of rice New Member

I haven't seen them but Jamie has seen skunks a few times in the morning. My hives are up on a foot high wooden platform so I wouldn't see any marks in the grass to indicate if the skunks are feeding on my hives. I'm wondering if there would be any other signs if the skunks were feeding on them? I'm hoping the skunks just haven't seen the hives, they were spotted a hundred or so yards away from them though. How much damage can a skunk do to a hive, or how quickly can a skunk kill a whole hive?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Look for...............

muddy paw prints on the front of the hive.
    claw marks at the entrance, they will claw at it to get the bees to come out and then eat them.

with the hives up off of the ground like that the skunk will have to stretch a little to get to the entrance, this will expose his belly a little more and let the bees be able to sting them.

G3

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

They may be (hopefully) looking for other things. I had a yellow-jacket nest in the ground by the garden. One night I heard noise and smelled the powerful odor of skunk. Next day, there was a big (about 1 ft hemisphere) hole in the ground, and paper comb strewn about. My guess is the yellow jackets got in a few good hits.

So far the skunk has left my hives alone. (Knock wood)

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good point Hobie!

5. lil grain of rice

lil grain of rice New Member

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, too.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Someone could make a killing selling trained (and de-stinkified) skunks to remove yellow-jackets. What swarm remover wouldn't want one to rent out to all those bogus calls we get? :D