slanted comb

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

on a few frames my bees have been building comb that slants downward instead of strait out....on one of my perico drone frames its all slanted downward kinda (from my point of view) sharply...why is this...is it something i did ????

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

None of your cells point straight out. They all slant down. That's the ways bees make them. Some may slant more than others, I don't know, but they all slant.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Helps keep the cell contents from falling out, I think.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I think Iddee meant they slant up slightly, as Hobie said to keep things from falling out. Think of fresh nectar when first placed in the cells, it is thin as water.

Check to see if your hive is level from side to side and tilting down slightly towards the front to shed water. I am not real particular myself but do have mine tilted down in the front for sure.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Iddee: They all slant down.
    G3Farms: ...they slant up slightly.

Hobie: It all depends on whether you are coming or going!

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

sooooo...when the bees are going into the cell its down and when they are backing out of it, its up....lol....good to know...they must thicken the nector up a little when they put it in cause it stays in the almost strait comb...the comb i was refering to was drone comb on a perico drone frame...it was just realy realy slanted...the hives are level except for a small tilt to the front so water doesnt run into the hive...its no big deal...the bees dont care...i was just curious.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Remember that for honey storage, bees prefer to build "drone comb". If you don't guide them with foundation, in the storage areas of the hive they'll always build "drone cells". They are easier for the bees to work in when drying the nectar and are more economical in the use of bees wax.

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i was wondering about that....does that mean if i stock my honey supers with green perico drone frames that the larger/less cells would translate into more honey per frame ???

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Kool
    If we would compare a frame of drone cells and worker cells, both of the same depth, I don't think you'd get significantly more honey in the drone cells, maybe just a tiny bit. But remember that a tiny bit of wax saved for the bees can be very significant for them.
    On the other hand, your overall yield might be a bit greater because by saving on wax production the bees would use up less honey and the difference would be your profit.
    I really don't know if the numbers are accurate, but I was once told that producing 1 lb of wax comes at the expense of 15 lbs of honey. That's another reason why we try to keep our honey combs for several years, if possible. [I won't discuss the other side of the coin here--why not to keep your combs too long.]

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hmmmm...after what i saw today im not sure i wanna use 100% plastic frames any more....they are warpt and im sure thats why the bees are building comb sideways on them...the bee space is too large on one side of the frame....i like plasticell an wood frames...they dont do that :/ i spose if the profit were profitable everybody would be doing it lol :)