Slow hive

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jul 14, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Well, as I have said in some of my post. One hive has been slower to build up this season. Today is in the upper 80's. Party sunny or if you prefer partly cloudy. The hive next to this one has bees going in and out. Many at a time. Has gone through 1 gal. of sugar water in 5 days. well, my slow hive there are bees on the porch but only a few taking off and few only coming in. Only 1/2 gal. of sugar water consumed in 5 days. Not sure why they are not getting out there and doing their job! Going to suit up for a look. Any ideas what going on? I did send an email to the State Inspector to see if she can come take a look to see if she thinks my hives are doing well and suggestions.

2. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Here's what I found.

This cell was open, Queen cells are on top of the frame right? 007.JPG 008.JPG found the queen 009.JPG 010.JPG The bottom brood deep is still about 80% filled. 3-4 frames are honey which very little is capped. Brood cells but not as much as I thought there would be.

006 (2).JPG This pic which you can't see well because my bees would not move for the picture the cells are much larger. Thinking drones? Also, does the laying pattern look ok?
    004 (2).JPG 005 (2).JPG Well, trying to hold a frame and taking a pic. is not my thing. Here is one (center) coming out of it's cell.

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Need some help people.

4. pturley

pturley New Member

I don't see any problems...

I think all appears well. I don't believe anything appears wrong, just your bees may well have replaced the queen.

The fact you found an opened cell likely means either the queen pictured is either your original queen or this could be the new queen that emerged and has already completed her nuptial flights. (The queen pictured appears matured, ready to lay eggs.)

Your brood pattern looks fine for a new queen. They also look fine if this is the last eggs from your outgoing matriarch. You have lots of larva, all around the same ages close together on the frames. If the supercedure was indeed successful, in a couple weeks you should notice a jump in this hive's population.

the location on the frame while sometimes predictive (IE: swarm cells come in numbers however)... it appears they simply matured a queen cup that are usually present on the bottom of the combs throughout the hive (there is usually few placed here or there in a hive).

Just relax, and plan for another inspection next week. By then, the new queen (if that wasn't her in the photo) should be in place in the hive.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sorry for the delay. :oops:

Swarm cells are generally found along the bottom of frames, particularly in the top deep (if that's what you run) and in greater numbers as Paul has stated.
    Supercedure or emergency cells are usually located on the face of the comb and be located almost anywhere and in few numbers.
    If the cell in your first 2 pics was an open cell (that is no larvae inside od had been chewed through on the bottom end) then the queen in you next photos are the original one. If the cell had been chewed open on the end then this queen is probably your new one.
    The brood pattern looks OK, I can see eggs in the last picture so I think Paul is right, just give it a while and all appears to be OK.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

My biggest concern is that this hive has been super slow to grow. There are 2 frames in the first brood box that has not been drawn out. I move it in one frame to see if they would fill it. They are close to 80% filled so added another deep and nothing much is going on in there. Seems to be no mites. No other issues but I wouldn't know what I was looking for. Why is this one hive so slow to get going?

7. pturley

pturley New Member

Some queens are better than others... Perhaps it just took a bit for the workers to decide the old queen wasn't up to par.

My Carnie package this spring seemed to flouder on low numbers, but good laying patterns all through May. By mid June this hive was chock full of bees. The hive is a deep and two mediums full now.