small bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mcribbz, Jun 9, 2012.

1. mcribbz

mcribbz New Member

Hi guys, I have put out a few things to try and attract honeybees with no luck of seeing any. I do have some wildflowers around the yard, but the only bees I see are tiny. They look just like honeybees but they are about half the size. Anyone have any what they could be. And any info an attracting bees would be helpful.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome :hi:
    Sounds like sweat bees to me.
    As far as attracting honey bees, why not set up an empty hive, put some empty comb in it along with a few drops of lemongrass oil. :mrgreen:
    I am guessing that is not exactly what you had in mind, but please consider it! :wink:

3. mcribbz

mcribbz New Member

Thanks Perry, thats exactly what I had in mind I just didn't know how to do it. I am almost finished with a top bar hive. So all I need to do is put lemongrass oil, and find empty cone. I guess I need to find a local beekeeper for that? Thanks for the quick reply!!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Some comb would be a bonus for sure. All you would need is a "frames" worth at most. If a swarm moves in they will be in comb building mode, raring to go. If you have access to any keeps around, I am sure that you should be able to pick up a piece.
    Another idea is maybe put yourself on a list for swarm collecting (town hall, fire/police dept. that sort of thing. If you can catch one and then put it in your TBH you are just as happy!
    If you have any questions regarding Top Bar Hives, we have few members that are experienced with them, don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Good luck.

5. mcribbz

mcribbz New Member

Thanks Perry, I will let you know how it goes.