small electric honey extractors advise

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Dec 3, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

When I first started keeping bees the first year i used a 6 frame hand crank extractor. One year of that I said no more and went shopping for a motor driven extractor. What I found on the market was mostly marketed towards keeps that keep hives on a sideline business not for the guy who had say 10 or less hives. having 50 or so hives I have a 12 frame radial. I am wondering if a well made electric stainless steel extractor was made for the public would there be a market for it if it was made well and affordable. when I say small Im looking at a 4 frame tangenical not radial sized extractor.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think a nine frame radial covers it well. You can do one super, or ten. The numbers match the supers. Now if you could make it and keep the price lower than the competition, you may have something.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i have a fabricator that is good at rolling stainless and welding and I got the machines we are looking into what we can make them for and not shoot ourselves in the foot looking at the ones on the market and my experience in shop im thinking there is a pretty healthy profit margin on them but then again there is a limited market if they was selling 500 a month you would see the price split in half

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You might think about offering an electrical upgrade for the hand crank ones. That would get you started and get your name out before you made any large investments in material and tooling.
    It would almost be an exclusive. Few, if any, do it now.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

actually we have thought of that to we are looking at all angles if its just the conversion i will design and handle it on my own in the shop since there wouldnt be a lot of sheet metal fabrication. Im working with a patent lawyer on a handicap hands free shower that converts a regular shower into a handicapped shower and still be used by everyone.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

humm.. I suspect this market would be very narrow (thin). the old 4 frame (likely a Ranger although there is no tag) I have quickly got converted into a radial. even before that the hand crank got tossed and a motor and speed controller was added.

like Iddee I suspect (speculating for certain) there would be more $ in conversions (both motor and tangential to radial).