Small hive beetle link April 2014 Beetle update

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by jewelant, Apr 5, 2014.

1. jewelant

jewelant New Member

I just wanted to post a link to an article on small hive beetles that I wrote in repley to a woman that recently emailed me on one of my blog posts. It might be valuable for those that might be interested in new methods or combination methods of controlling them. I lost several hives in 2010 and have only this year gotten back online with my bees. Check it out. :thumbsup:

I hope someone finds it helpful. I've been brainstorming for the last 2-3 years. There are several other articles on small hive beetles on the blog also.

2. Capt44

Capt44 New Member

Here in Central Arkansas I had all my Hives inspected in 3 bee yards March 10, 2014.
    I had beetle barn traps baited with a jelled roach bait.
    There was no way a bee could get to the bait.
    I had several dead beetles in each trap.
    What he said was the state of Arkansas is coming down hard on the inspectors to look for unauthorized chemicals in a hive.
    He did say the only thing that was USDA and State of Arkansas approved was Check Mite Strips cut into pieces and placed inside the beetle traps.
    They will turn any unauthorized chemical use in to the state and the state would in turn, forward it to the USDA and then they'd come down on the beekeeper.
    The inspector told me to beware what information I get on the internet.
    So it looks like oil traps or check Mite strips.