Small Hive Beetle (SHB) found on Kauai

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by vermillion, May 25, 2012.

1. vermillion

vermillion New Member

This is very sad news.
    Registered beekeepers in Hawaii will have gotten this alert, but there may be some that are not registered and may not know this yet...

Moderators, I am sorry if this is not the correct subforum.

:(

On Monday, May 21, a beekeeper near Lihu‘e, Kaua‘i noticed some unusual beetles on some beekeeping equipment near his hives. HDOA was contacted on May 22 – Kaua‘i Plant Pest Control staff responded, collected several specimens from two separate locations located approximately 1.5 miles apart, and sent them to Honolulu for identification. In the meantime, HDOA has received unconfirmed reports that potentially infected hive material may have been moved to other locations, including one up to 15 miles away from the initially reported site. On May 24, 2012, HDOA entomologists in Honolulu positively identified the submitted specimens as small hive beetle (Aethina tumida). HDOA is currently collecting further information to assess the extent of the infestation and will be issuing a press release shortly.
    Hawai‘i residents are reminded that transporting bees or used beekeeping equipment between islands is prohibited without prior HDOA inspection and permit as per Hawai‘i Revised Statutes §150A-8 and Hawai‘i Administrative Rules §4-72-4.

email for more information:
    Jacqueline.D.Robson@hawaii.gov

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I suspect this small bug will (and fairly quickly) dramatically alter beekeeping in Hawaii.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Same as up here tec.
    Our provincial government has bowed to pressure and has issued a special permit to allow transportation of beehives from out of province in for pollination purposes. If tracheal mites were not a problem for all of us before they shortly will be. SHB has also been located in 3 areas of Ontario (where these bees will come from) and Quebec. 2 of the areas in Ontario have been "depopulated". I'm guessing these hives don't throw swarms or the beetles don't fly. :roll:
    Interestingly enough, as a member of our provincial beekeeping association, no statement or notice or anything was issued. The only hint this might be coming was a "change of protocol" notice issued only a couple of weeks ago. (the hives from out of province are already here).
    Governments suck!
    They have sacrificed one industry to placate another. Beekeepers seem to always come out on the short end of just about every stick.

4. vermillion

vermillion New Member

SHB has been on the other islands, not Kauai. Arrived in 2010 and tore through the place.
    Kauai up till now has not had them.

Varroa came in 2007, so far only to the Big Island (Hawaii Island) and Oahu (where Honolulu is).