Small hive beetle

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 11Nick, Jun 14, 2012.

1. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

This thread is prompted by Tecumseh's post in a different thread concerning switching hive bodies....

I live in PA. In my immediate area, there are very few beeks. Only two that I know of. I went to visit both of them a year ago. I talked about hive beetle with each of them. Neither of them has ever seen a hive beetle. One of them told me that they aren't in this area.
    Is there any research or tracking of where hive beetles have been found in the U.S.?
    Thanks
    Nick

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I don't know when this was done, but it give you an idea about how far they've spread:

small-hive-beetle-distribution.jpg

Geographical Range
    The Small hive beetle (SHB) is native to sub-Saharan Africa. In its native range it is a minor pest of weak honeybee colonies and stored honey supers. However, European bees have fewer natural defenses against SHB and consequently it has far greater harmful consequences to European honey bees. It was confirmed for the first time outside Africa in Florida USA, in May 1998, and since then has become widespread across the USA (in more than 30 US states and as far North as Minnesota). The beetle was later detected in New South Wales and Queensland in Australia in October 2002 and more recently in Canada (traced to imports of unrefined wax from Texas, USA). The beetle is also present in Mexico and Jamaica. It is as of April 2010 confirmed on the big island of Hawaii. Further details of these outbreaks can be seen on the OIE disease incidence reporting pages, World Animal Health Information Database (WAHID).