Small Hive Beetles

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Aug 14, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I checked my hive yesterday and when I took off the inner cover it was crawling with SHBs. I killed them all and the bees seemed very intent on attacking their dead bodies. I read somewhere about SHB traps made from plastic cardboard , does anyone here use anything like that? I just popped the lid to check the new super I put on and the one below and only noticed SHBs on the inner cover....the bees seemed to have them all corralled up there. What, if anything, do the bees do about the SHBs?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

excellent video
    :thumbsup:

4. letitbee

letitbee New Member

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We had a 3 year long battle with those nasty little bugs. 1st put your bees in full sun if you can, the more sun the better! 2nd make some of the cardboard traps like the video, or another type of trap (there are lots of them) and get them in the hive. 3rd start spreading wood ashes or lime on the ground under your hive.

The 1st year we just did #1 and couldn't figure out why we weren't getting ahead of them. The 2nd year we did #1 & #2, had a little improvement but still wasn't happy with the number of beetles we were seeing. The 3rd year - now; we did all 3 and saw fewer and fewer as the season progressed. This year we have seen only a FEW of them and the traps were always empty so we got rid of them. It wasn't until we started covering the ground under the hives that we saw dramatic improvement. I've heard folks say that DE works as well as ashes or lime but I just used what I had on hand.

Good luck getting rid of them!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mama beek writes:
    3rd start spreading wood ashes or lime on the ground under your hive.

tecumseh:
    that is a new one for me. can I enquire as to where you got the idea? thanks for sharing the 1, 2 and 3 timeline of how you combated the shb and the results along the way. quite interesting.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I think we got the idea from Iddee?? but I can't swear to it since my memory isn't working properly these days. We started doing it last year when even with every trap we could think of we were still battling those bugs.

We still keep some traps and a few of the "beetle blasters" on hand just in case, but so far the only hive we need them for is one that came from somewhere else, complete with it's own pests. It's a habit for us now to toss ashes from our fireplace under the hives when we sprinkle them on the gardens. I think I may try some DE in our other bee yard to see if it works as well, better, or worse.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks mama beek. it would be informative to compare the wood ash with DE. tell us how that goes.

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'll keep you posted as to how well it works. I'm just glad we finally got ahead of the shb!

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

I read about the DE and have a 50lb bag sitting in my entrance hall, tomorrow it gets spread, traps are already in my hives for the last 2 weeks. Will see how they did tomorrow if i get time to work the hives.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

are the shb bad this year for you Zulu? or is this just preventative?

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

Very bad. Kill 20 or more each time i lift the top cover in each hive, obviously many more i cannot see.

13. guyross

guyross New Member

I hope the CD case traps help.

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

Interestingly, I opened the hives this week and the bait had been eaten completely in two hives and not touched in two others, no sign of dead beatles , but certainly not as many around either. One hive did have a bunch near the top with bees chasing them eagerly, but as I was in a rush I did not make a note and now cannot remember which hive it was. As I have three diff genetics in 4 hives , it could play a part of futute queening. Maybe my ground drenches have been working, guess i have enough Pymethrin to do one more i should do so. In one hive I did not see any beatles running around at all .....

I also have the 50lbs of DE waiting to put it out after Irene blows itself away, so after mowing tomorrow i will spread it under the hives too.

I intend to rebait the CD cases too and put them back.

Any and everything has to help kill these buggers.

15. WailingDave

WailingDave New Member

Please go to my face book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bee-Troub ... 4925018163 and you will see what is coming next if not already ,, I did not look at the posting date,,, but next is the maggots to hatch out and ruin the honey.... good luck,, WailingDave :cry:

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for sharing the video on your face book page. may I assume the small hive beetle is newly introduced to Hawaii?

at the severe infestation stage (as you video displays) the comb can be salvaged by freezing the frames for 1 to 2 days. any debris accumulation on the bottom board should be burned. some sites are less encouraging to the small hive beetle than others.... rock surfaces on any area devoid of vegetation and organic matter don't support the shb so well.

weak hives should be fed and on occasion boosted with frames of sealed brood. frames out towards the wall that are primarily pollen seem to put the shb on reproductive hyper drive.

17. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Zulu, I shyed away from using the CD cases. I didn't like the idea of using bait mixed w/ roach poison inside my hives. I was afraid that some of it would be dragged out by the beetles if it did not kill them on the spot. It sounds like exactly that happened with your's (the bait made it out either on the inside or the outside of the beetles). I have to wonder if the bees become exposed in any way.

I understand the ground treatments (DE or other) will curb the reproduction of SHB already in the hive, but lots more can/will still fly in from who-knows-where, right? That being said, everyone I've spoken to that uses ground treatments swears by it. Anecdotally, I have 2 beeyards, one in full-sun and one in part-shade. I have yet to see a SHB in the full-sun hives (knock on wood). Any new hives I start will definitely go in full-sun.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep i have no choice but for the partial sun. The hives get the most sun they can in my yard, till about 1pm.

As for the bait, i too was concerned , but the hive is strong, will be watching it carefully. I still have one trap on the bottom board which i could not get to, will try in morning and see what it looks like.

19. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Thanks, I appreciate the updates. I'm still relying on the strength of the hives to fight them off, but I'm trying to be prepared for when I need to intervene.

-Dan

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member