Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at having a deep of honey in the next couple of weeks that I will need to extract. I originally planned to just crush and strain but since then have become a little fond of the comb that has been drawn.

Is it common to be able to find extractors that can be beg borrowed, rented etc rather than having to buy one this first year? I was not expecting honey this year but it is starting to look like my hive might manage to produce a little bit. They have one full deep and starting to work on a second. So now I am faced with finding answers to extracting and bottling much sooner than I expected.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
385 Posts
There are several ideas on youtube on how to make simple extractors that will get you through the first season. Tom

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
If there is a club in your area, they often have a "club extractor" that can be borrowed.
Congrats on the harvest! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Try removing the cappings and putting the frame "face-down" on something like a cake cooling rack above a cookie sheet. Let gravity do the work. It may take longer, but saves that drawn comb.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the face down on a rack idea since I can do that at no cost. Time I have money not so much. Plus I would rather harvest some honey get it sold and buy an extractor that will be more permanent. I might be able to come up with something from work that will let me make one. they throw out things with bearings and shafts fairly regularly.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Are you taking honey from the deep brood boxes? Remember that your bees are going to need at least one, maybe two, full deep boxes full of brood and honey in order to survive the coming winter. Will there be a Fall nectar flow in your area that will enable your bees to replace all the honey you are removing before winter comes? Or are you using deeps as honey supers?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Try removing the cappings and putting the frame "face-down" on something like a cake cooling rack above a cookie sheet. Let gravity do the work. It may take longer, but saves that drawn comb.
If you're dealing with ripe, capped honey, I have the feeling that this method will be very disappointing.
But on the bright side, isn't it nice to have problems of this sort and not problems of empty combs?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
efmesh, yes it is good. so far all my problems seem to be of this nature.

That leads me to how I have honey being stored in a deep. It is supposed to be a hive body but due to my colony growing to fast I had to add an extra. they already have one deep full of honey and I expect them to manage to fill the newly added one in teh next few weeks. This allows me to harvest one of the deeps. Totally unexpected on my part since I was of the thinking it is unlikely to get honey with a first year hive.

They seem to have the same foraging activity that resulted in the first deep getting filled. We do have a late season flow here in the form of sagebrush. Plus I live in a city so there are all sorts of odd things in bloom at most times. The bees have never really stopped being able to bring in nectar yet. Rabbit brush is also coming into bloom out in the country side. It is listed as one of our honey plants. Plus every lawn in town has clover.

I am thinking if things keep going for a couple more weeks I have at least one deep I can harvest.

·
Registered
929 Posts
You might try Craigslist. My first year I borrowed an extractor from a long time beekeep. I just had to leave a check for deposit. Unfortunately, I don't remember I connected with him. Also, you might be able to take your deep over to another beekeep's. They can include your frames when they are harvesting they're own.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I contacted the local beekeepers association. Their next meeting is 8-13. Hope to run into some possibilities then and that might make the timing about right as well.

I have been watching craigs list. typically there are all of two adds at most you can find in regard to bees. One that always has a n ad running for swarm removal and one person looking to buy equipment as well. This is not a place that is big on beekeeping. Makes it hard to find resources. hopefully wil be good for sales. Feed Stores do not even carry beekeeping supplies.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The program that runs Craigslist is very literal. You may have to try different things in CL's search engine. Beekeeping, as well as bee keeping (2 words). also, try "honey extractor". That's how I found mine. Try different word combinations, i.e. beekeeping equipment, beekeeping supplies, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts