Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what type of pine tree produces the best Needles for smoker fuel. I had a family friend who had a pine tree that produced great beetles for a smoker but she died and the property was sold so I want to plant a good pine tree on my property for smoker fuel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would think any long needle pine that grows fast for you would be fine. In the Fall when the tree sheds it's needles, just take a leaf rake and rake them up.

·
Administrator
3,628 Posts
I use cotton hull smoker fuel, burns cooler, stays lit just long enough. But I do have to buy it. I have a couple of pine trees but the needles produce more smoke and hotter smoke than I like. Mine are Eldarica pines

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you know what species?
I planted a couple White pines in the yard about 1985 and they grew to about 60 or so foot high since then. They were just young Christmas trees when I transplanted them. I gathered up a whole garbage can of the needles this last Fall for use in my smoker. However, the verdict is still out on them as use for a good smoker fuel. I just started beekeeping last summer in August. Since then, my pine needles have burnt cool sometimes and a little on the warm side at times or actually blowing red hot fiery sparks at other times. I really have to be careful in operating my smoker correctly and be sure to test the puff of smoke on my skin first before smoking my bees. Unfortunately, that is one lesson I learned the hard way.
I just did a search on Gypsi's cotton hull smoker fuel with the idea of trying it myself. I have also heard that burlap is a good smoker fuel also but the stuff I have seen in some of my tractor supply stores packaged for beekeeping is expensive and only in supplies to use in the smoker just a few times. Pine needles are free, so I hope to get a handle on keeping a cool smoke with them.

·
Administrator
3,628 Posts
I get my cotton hull fuel from Dadant. It's $2 or 3 a bag, last time I bought it anyway. White pines wouldn't handle my heat and drought, Eldarica are the best survivors. Gotta go to work, have a good day

Reactions: Wil

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are videos on how to prepare and light a smoker.

Dirt Rooster has a good one.

If you are having trouble with the temp of your smoke you are probably using too much.

You have to find a balance between manhandling the bees and finnesseing them that suits your style and apiary.

smoker tips starts at 7 min in

Kamon Reynolds has one also

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are videos on how to prepare and light a smoker.

Dirt Rooster has a good one.

If you are having trouble with the temp of your smoke you are probably using too much.

You have to find a balance between manhandling the bees and finnesseing them that suits your style and apiary.

smoker tips starts at 7 min in

Kamon Reynolds has one also
I watched both videos and what I took away from watching them, I didn't stuff my smoker to where I was really packing it in tight. No wonder I had trouble keeping it lit. I normally use my pine needles but I have a whole barn full of hay for the animals and never even though of using hay because I was told that it burns to hot. I might have to give hay a try again but stuffing the heck out of the smoker with it this time.

·
Administrator
3,628 Posts
I was told by my mentor I could use hay or pine needles but get it lit, then stuff green grass on top to cool the smoke before smoking the bees. There is no green grass near me, periodic droughts a lot of rain once in a while, so I use the cotton stuff.

Reactions: Wil

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was told by my mentor I could use hay or pine needles but get it lit, then stuff green grass on top to cool the smoke before smoking the bees. There is no green grass near me, periodic droughts a lot of rain once in a while, so I use the cotton stuff.
Great. Green grass is what I have plenty of for sure so I will be topping off with that over my pine needles or hay.

Reactions: Gypsi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts