smoker maintenance

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Lazarus4, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Whats the best way to clean the smoker. My smoker gets so gummed up with the tar and resin that if I close the lid when I am done, it is a bear to open after it cools down. Whats the best way to clean it. Thanks

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

scrape, oven cleaner, or burn hot clean fuel

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Read somewhere else that a blowtorch is the way to go.

Mine is due for a trial.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

Blowtorch works well. I have switched to wood pellets and find much less tar residue

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

change smoker fuel, green grass in the top over the burning fuel to cool the smoke and restrict the chimney effect thru the smoker.

6. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I use my propane or butane, whichever it is, torch and burn around the top cover, inside and out side, set it down and let it cool and the ashes can be rubbed off easily with a course rag. I use cardboard from freight boxes for fuel. Roll them into a tight roll and light one end with the torch, then stick it into the smoker and commence smoking. It's fast and easy.

7. buzzerb

buzzerb New Member

Washing soda - cheap and clean.

I wash my stainless steel smoker in washing soda [sodium carbonate]. Remove bellows first for safety. Make a strong solution use a stiff brush/wire wool and renew solution until no more comes off. Rinse well and let dry. You will notice the smoke is a lot sweeter too.

USE protective waterproof gloves.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

How often do you need to clean your smoker?

9. buzzerb

buzzerb New Member

Well, I suppose it depends on how often you use it and the fuel you use. We have around 10 hives -probably means it is used about 240 hours per year and I wash out at the beginning of the season - looks lovely and new but it doesn't last long! usually time to clean it out when you have a job closing the lid!

10. buzzerb

buzzerb New Member

PS. Probably not a good idea to use cardboard as it has fire retardants that are a cancer risk and probably irritate the bees as well.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Until you have properly cleaned the creosote accumulations from the smoker, it can easily be opened if you use a hive tool to pry up the top: Set the blade in the seam of the top and use the bellows as a fulcrum to give you lift as you press down. 1-2-3 and the stickiest lids can be opened.

12. GrayGuy

GrayGuy New Member

I usually put it in my propane BBQ. Open upside down after removing bellows. Turn on high for 15 - 20 minutes, brush after cooling.