Smoker starter suggestion

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ibeelearning, May 11, 2012.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Everything I usually use to start the smoker was damp yesterday. Then, in a uncontrolable fit of common sense, I spied the waste basket office paper shredder. PERFECT! We use it for packaging, feed it to the worms, mix it in garden bedding, and still can't use it all.

Packed it in the smoker loosely, puff puff, added pellets after 30 seconds. Nice.

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i use paper, from old phone books or the last year's book on insurance coverage....(it's like newspaper and a nice use for what to do with this:lol:)

light it up, throw some cedar chips in.......
    when it dies, a propane torch works very nicely to fire it up again:grin:

3. pturley

pturley New Member

Woodchips and sawdust (long chips) from my planer and router work in the same way.

One tip if using small light materials and fuel pellets however. Before you close up your smoker, take a big wadded handful of long green grass and stuff it in on top of the fuel.

This will cool the flame, increase the amount of smoke produced and slow the burn making your smoker last longer. Then you can use extremely small puffs of very dense, cool smoke. It also prevents small sawdust embers from flying out of the nozzle from pumping too hard.

Iddee had posted this earlier! It works great!