Smokey tasting honey

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Apr 29, 2012.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I tried something different that didn't work as well as I hoped. I love applewood flavored bacon and have had good luck smoking my own bacon to achieve that flavor.

I cut some apple wood into small shavings and practiced getting it to work in my smoker. With some experimentation I mixed just the right amount of dried grass and applewood to produce a smoke that smelled like applewood.

I set it under my honey super I pulled last month and smoked the frames with the honey still in the foundation. Smoked the frames for too long it seems. While I like the smokey taste to this mostly clover honey, no one else does.

What are my options to reduce / hide this smokey flavor? I have thought of eating it all myself and starving the wife and daughter into liking it but hurriedly admit that is not the smartest option.

I guess my best option is to mix my next batch with this batch and stir it well before bottling it.

Any other ideas to help me deal with almost 45 pounds of smokey tasting honey?

Live and learn I guess. Shouldn't try to improve the taste of something that doesn't need improving to start with.

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

That's the only thing I can think of is to cut it with other honey. I'm surprised that the smoke made it through the wax to overwhelm the flavor of the honey. If you had ribs above that apple smoke, I would become your best friend :) I bet your bacon is delicious.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Enjoy all 45 lbs - over time.....:grin:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Make BBQ sauce out of it. I would not try to cut it with more honey.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

In fact the more I think about it, it would be awesome in a Honey Brown Smoked Porter.
    I could experiment with 10lbs if you like ....

seriously!

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

:thumbsup:
    bamabww, what was the mix, ratio, any special kind of grass? Thanks.

7. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Not really, I made a SWAGed it until the smoke smelled like applewood.

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Yeah, the bacon is really good. The wife and daughter love the bacon but not the honey. My doctor doesn't love me eating the bacon but I'm going to die from something anyway, right?

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Before you mix the whole lot with any other honey, experiment on a small amount, to be sure that the non-desired flavor gets eliminated. You certainly wouldn't want to "ruin" the next batch of honey with that of the first. Your best bet might be to feed the honey back to the bees and see if they can mask the undesireable qualities with the honey they're bringing in from the field.

10. bamabww

bamabww New Member

My wife and daughter will like that idea best and with the upcoming dry season, that will probably be a good option and save me buying several pounds of sugar. I'm gonna try the BBQ sauce option also.

If I do feed it to the bees, do I mix it like I do 1:1 sugar syrup?

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

When feeding honey back I believe you only add about 10% water so it's easier for the bees to take.
    I could stand to be corrected in this.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

Smokey flavored honey would be terrific in BBQ sauces, mustard sauces and marinades, and in some tea like Kukicha tea or Lapsang Souchong, which are both smoky tasting teas.
    Since honey never gets too old, why not have your own special smoky stash?

13. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Would there be any chance of enough smoke flavor left on the comb to taint the next honey crop?

14. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I'm using the crush and strain method of harvesting the honey so no, all the old comb is practically gone.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I doubt it--the bees should clean away the remnants of the smokey honey and most likely the smoke itself would not be absorbed into the wax----BUT--there's only one real way to find out: Experiment.:doh: If one wouldn't want to take the risk, the tainted combs could be set aside for use in the brood nest only. [Then maybe we'd get smokey bees, as opposed to smokey bear]

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

when Life gives you smoked honey make Mead:grin:

17. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

Send 20 to 25 pounds to me and I'll come up with some sort of recipe

18. Dakine

Dakine New Member

How about using cannabis in your smoker??
    You may have a "high" SELLER! LOL

19. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I wouldn't cut it with other honey...why impact the taste of the other honey?

Save some for yourself, feed some back to your bees if you want to.

Trade some to another beek for some of his/her honey.

Sell some....put a smokey apple label on the jars. Novelty sells. ;)

PerryBee...I hadn't heard that you thin down the honey to feed it back to the bees. Interesting tidbit there! Thanks.

Ed

20. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Update on the smokey tasting honey: the smokey taste is gone. After using the crush and strain method of harvesting, I've let it sit in a 5 gallon bucket with the lid loose to allow the air bubbles to rise to the top for about a week. I've bottled some yesterday and the smokey taste has disappeared. Even the two disgruntled family members, wife and daughter, who thought I had ruined their honey agree that the honey is "normal" again.