Smoking bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Dec 8, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Reading barry's post #540 (varroa mite free) brought to mind what a long gone beekeeper told me.( he died at the age of 92) I've never tried it because i thought it would be harmful to the beekeeper? He said if you have a mean unmanageable hive, put a half a handful of nitrate (fertilizer pellets) in your smoker with what ever you have burning with it. He claimed it would calm them down. Anyone ever heard or tried it? :confused: Jack

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds dangerous. we need a chemist.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec. i don't think it would blow up or anything? it's the fumes that would worry me. He said he had used it several times, i took his word for it. :roll: Jack

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

any1 know at 92 what he died of? fumes from the smoker maybe? :D :rolling: :rotfl:

I dont think I would try anything like that.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A handful of sulfur in the smoker will calm them down, too. ""Permanently""

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I got tickled at walter, (the 92 yr. old) i was helping him get a swarm out of a tree at his house,when he said i've got to go check on my wife. I ask what was wrong with her? he said , i don't know it seems like she always got something wrong with her and she's only 89 yrs. old :mrgreen: and he said it with a serious look on his face. He was 90 yrs. old at the time. :lol: Jack
    PS. he mowed his own yard, had a big garden, several fruit trees, and 5 beehives. He climed a ladder to prune his trees and paint his buildings ect. till the day he died. :thumbsup: Jack

7. Marbees

Marbees Member

:amen:

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Brooks go down to the local coop and tell them you are wanting some nitrate pellets. Refuse to tell them what you are using them for. See what there reaction is. Let us know how it went when you get your phone call :Dancing: :rolling:

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Rat, i've been down that road. :mrgreen: i put a tablespoon full of ammonia nitrate around each thornless blackberry vine in the spring, i buy a 50# bag every 3 to 4 years at the local MFA feed store. I don't have any problem because they know what i do with it. :thumbsup: Jack

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Also ask them if they sell diesel fuel :mrgreen:

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

I get two 50lb bags for the hops farm each year, just a matter of who you know!!! :D

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

bet a 55 gallon drum for diesel in the back of a ryder truck and a few 50lb bags of nitrate will make them rethink there sales strategy. I buy a 50lb bag every few years last bunch I bought for the trees was uria

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

They sell bomb making material to someone who grows Hops. :lol: :lol: Jack

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

i would assume Jack (should have paid more attention in chemistry class??) it would make nitrous oxide (laughing gas).

I already get some odd looks riding around in my old truck when my smoker is partially lit.

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have used tobacco leaves in the smoker and it did seem to calm down those little black bee I use to keep.