Snake bite

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Heard on our local news station where a man died of a Copperhead bite this week, this is the second recorded death of a Copperhead bite in Mo. About 5 yrs. ago i had a close call (i've posted this before) when i had one hung in my pant lege, always look under your bee hives before working them (if they are on blocks ect.) and your in a snake habitat area. I've had several close calls with them, and know some people who were bit by them. They are not an aggressive snake, but will bite when they feel thratened. I know some of you live in Rattle snake country, and that's a different story. With the hot weather were having,sakes are looking for a cool spot, and that could be under your hive.:eek: Jack

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

yep we had a 4 year old get bit at fall river last week 4 vials of antivenom later they sent him home

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

There must have been other health conditions as in recorded medical unless this is the first, no one has ever died from the bite in and on its self, sick, yes, lost minor limbe ( finger tip or toe ) yes, but less other health conditions no.
    Barry

4. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

A friend of mine went into his barn to get a chain the other day. Hot, bright, sunny day, so when he went into the dark barn, his vision was less than perfect. Bend down to pick up the chain off the floor and saw something move. Stepped back and gave his eyes a second to adjust. A copperhead was laying around the cool metal chain on a 98 degree day.
    close call.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

This cottonmouth was hiding next to my workshop.
    cottonmouth.jpg

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

That is the snake that scares me the most. They seem to be the most aggressive because it's the only one that has ever chased me. I had a brim on the line pulling it along the sand bar and he wanted it more than me :)

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Some folks hate bees. Some folks hate snakes. Both are beneficial. Personally, I'd rather see a garter or rat snake in the yard than be over-ran with rodents in the house.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

RW, I hope you will understand your neighbor's uninformed hatred for your bees when they go to the city and try to make you get rid of them. Snakes are VERY beneficial to man, and cause very little damage. Maybe an egg or chick or two, maybe an accidental encounter or two, but overall a great companion to have in the yard or barn.

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have kept venomous snakes for over a decade, many are some of the most dangerous snakes in the world, always showing up on the top 20 deadliest snakes in the whole world. Of all those snakes, not one seeks to engage you until you approach far too closely. Most of what people know about snakes is based on old wives tales, war stories, and mostly bovine excrement, The uninformed, and apparently under educated individuals, that would have a world free of snakes, had also be prepared to share most every meal with the horde of rats and mice that would follow, to be sure you would be eating thanksgiving meal with a shotgun or you would get no food. I have kept, western diamondback rattlesnakes, Eastern Diamondbacks, Prairie Rattlesnakes, Coral snakes, Water moccasins Copperheads. With some authority I will say, these animals are, left to their own devices, are wholly unoffensive. When threatened, the difference between them and ANY other animal is they are a bit more capable---don't blame them for your lack of power of observation, or out right arrogance by ignoring the warning, which they ALL do give prior to biting--the only exception is if you actually are harming them, before they have a chance to warn, or because we have killed off the ones that gave plenty of advance warning in favor of snakes that remain quiet and bite because you've got to close. But then we have created those silent rattlesnakes--and made the world a better place.....right. Get off your high horse, and respect all animals both you and therm will wind up being happier and calmer.
    Barry

10. jim314

jim314 New Member

I don't mind rat snakes, garter snakes, king snakes, grass snakes, black snakes, hog nose, or any other type of non-poisonous snake. But I have very young grandchildren all over the yard, plus small dogs, and won't tolerate any poisonous snakes if I see them.

11. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

We have a place at the foot of a mountain behind us, with a river in front of us. We keep things mowed low and no brush piles, etc. to hold rodents, and therefore no snake habitat. I would be stupid to say that we never had snakes pass through, but we've never seen one until last year, when we had three: a garter snake, the biggest black snake I've ever seen, and a 58" rattlesnake. Our kids were playing in the water along the far river bank. The snake came off that bank, swam right between them, and came to our side of the river. We ate him for supper, so he would have died no matter how we came across him; but he would have died in any case simply because he left the bank and fearlessly went past noisy kids. If he was brave enough to get that close to people, I didn't need him around. It's one thing if a person ambles across a snake... but that snake came past my noisy kids.

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Actually you missed a learning opportunity, to educate the kids on what to do and to pay attention, when you chose to live in a area where these animal live they had no such choice. Teach the childern respect, not fear, learn what these animals are all about. The ONLY 2 rattlesnakes in Pa 1.) timber rattlesnake 2.) massasagua( propapbly misspelt ) At 58 inches could only have been timber rattlesnake the other only see's 2.5 to 3 ft longest. Timber rattlesnakes if not provoked are one of the mildest tempered of our venomous snakes, people get bitten every year by them and almost always is because they were teasing the snake, trying to harm it. That the snake went by, peacibly without harming or offering to harm your childern, should have sent you the message that they really are not as horrible a animal as supposed? Teach the childern, teach them to respect all of natures creature and educate yourself as well, then you know instead of supposing you know. With knowledge come insight, with insight comes wisdom.
    Barry

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Mostly agree, Barry, but I hafta side with Nick on this one. Rattler is some purty darn good eatin'. :D

14. 11Nick

11Nick New Member

X2!!!

As I said, Barry, any rattlesnake I come across that is of a decent size is supper whether he was mean and nasty looking or whether he waved and said "hello." Many people have seen rattlesnakes, but not everyone has seen one over 4'. I've killed a number of snakes that size and larger...every one was to eat and for no other reason.
    I will tell you that I will kill every rattlesnake or copperhead I see around the house. We can agree to disagree on that practice. But I will tell you that I will pull off the side of the road and get my walking stick out of the truck to carry a smaller rattlesnake off the road just so no one else will run over it.... and that was with my kids along. (But that is only so he grows bigger so I can eat him in another couple years.) They understand there is a reason to not kill them all.
    I know you'll cringe at this, but I can't stand copperheads. I'll kill everyone I see. When I pick raspberries, I have a 3' 2x4 that I carry. I use it to help push/pull raspberry canes into reach, or to move stuff around at my feet to make sure there are no snakes around. But the biggest thing I use it for is to thump the ground with every step I take just to warn any snakes in the zip code that I am coming. I have never run across a rattlesnake when picking raspberrys. I have seen blacksnakes run the other direction at my "thumping" approach. But many copperheads I've come across when picking raspberries has his head cocked and is ready to strike when I first lay eyes on him (and am not necessarily up close to him yet). Seems to me that I gave fair warning of my approach. If he didn't leave and is ready to fight at my approach....so am I! He better be carrying a bigger 2x4 than me, though.
    I'd rather see us agree to disagree and stick to bee talk. I've seen disagreements take shape on this forum that get out of hand and go completely away from bees. I don't want to go there and get that reputation.

15. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol, I personally never eaten rattlesnake, sorta cannibalism in my mind lol, as for copperheads, adopting a defensive posture, that doesn't mean they are about to bite, but does mean they are paying attention, in their world, large predatory animals, let alone something the size of a person, means serious trouble. Unfortunely we have given cause for them to be defensive, instead of merely trying to flee. I know it's difficult to do, but place yourself in their situation, were you minding your own business, looking for food, or shade, and a giant towering over top of you, who's every step cause the ground to shake--yeah that's how we appear to them a foreboding giant, that ruthlessly persecutes them( and in some cases actually do eat them lol ). In their world what choices do they really--they live in a world that encompasses about 5 square miles, and that's a large range most are about half that size. Just food for thought...No not the poor rattlesnake!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.