Snakes around hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Sep 6, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Checked some of my hives around the Big Sac river today and seen 3 copperheads close to my hives. (they are protected here in Mo. :mrgreen: ). I was wondering if they were bee eaters. :confused: Jack

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

PROTECTED!

my gosh you Missouri folks must be insane?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They eat mice and protect from vandals. Protecting hives in 2 ways. They don't eat bees.

Glad to hear they are protected.More states should do the same.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

look twice heft once when checking hives for winter stores :thumbsup:

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Yea, but Armidllas [sp] aren't, like in Texas.

Murrell

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Copperheads are protected in Missouri ;; IF they can out run my chopping hoe !!!

Murrell

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A few years ago i was working bees in that area and thought i had a blackberry vine hung on my pantlege and kept shaking my leg to get it loose, when i finally looked down i seen it was a copperhead hung in my levi's :eek: .At first it looked 4 ft. long, but was only 12 to 15 in. long, if i hadn't worn rubber boots that day he would have got me :shock: Needless to say i keep my eyes peeled for them when i work bees in that area. Jack

PS. they like to get under the hives between the concrete blocks that my hives set on. That's why i thought they might eat bees.

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

This one here was on my path to the hives last weekend...i dont see them around my hives to much cause its not directly by the water...but they roam alot...more worried about the little Dimondbacks an coral snakes...the baby rattlers like the tall grass under the hive...the coral snakes will hide under whatever you leave on the ground...so i dont set hives on tall hive bottoms...just blocks...i dont kill em anymore...they just arent around like they used to be...i pick em up an take em to the river or management area if i have a problem with them being there....ummm...dont try that unless you know what your doing folks....it wasnt a suggestion of what to do if ya find one but what i do after years of being around them...just sayen.

Attached Files:

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It sounds like those who are used to working around snakes are as afraid of them as beekeepers are of bees.
    But, as one who doesn't usually encounter snakes near my hives, spare me the pleasure. Around my house we have occasional vipers and I avoid them as best as I can. :roll:

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Can't say i'm afraid of them, just don't like to walk up on one drawed back and ready to strike. :shock: (or hung in my pantlege) I know folks who have been bit by copperheads and it made them deathly sick,but according to the Mo. Department of Conservation there has never been a recorded death from a copperhead in the State. Jack

11. me2pl

me2pl New Member

yeah, those hive graffiti artists are horrible

12. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I don't know if the bite would kill me or not !!

However the Heart Attack I would have soon after deffinitely would !!

Murrell

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

snakes just deserve a little respect thats all....obey the rules an theres nothing to worry about.

14. me2pl

me2pl New Member

REALLY be careful around them, they can and will kill you

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

efmesch writes:
    It sounds like those who are used to working around snakes are as afraid of them as beekeepers are of bees.

tecumseh:
    not really. I don't like them around my house I must admit and I am much more tolerant of them since I hooked up with my wife... who will almost jump out the window of a moving vehicle to count coup (koo) on some creature small or large.. mammal, reptile it don't really matter.

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Tec, you should get your wife to have a talk with Riverrat's wife. :mrgreen:

17. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

my girlfriend sat down on the toilet the other night an heard something move behind her....it was a garter snake....took me 2 hours to pry her claws out of the roof an get her down....shes not normally afraid of stuff like that....butt....i guess if your not expecting it a snake next to your bare behind would freak anybody out :/

Ya like arrowheads Tec ???

18. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

We have killed 4 in the yard here and several on the blacktop...They have not gotten under my hives though. I mount my hives on old tires to get them off the ground.....I look each time, but nothing has come of it so far.
    LtlWilli :eek:

19. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Right; very, very, very, very Little respect !! :hunter:

Murrell

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

efmesch writes:
    Tec, you should get your wife to have a talk with Riverrat's wife.

tecumseh:
    that don't sound like just a good idea ;) . given riverrats post script.. my good wife (I suspect) sometimes encourages my little bee habit a bit too much. as some Brazos River cotton farmer pointed out to me not long ago, my wife and I have interest that greatly overlaps. she does seem to like to weave some of my bee behavior stories into her lectures.

kooldad writes:
    Ya like arrowheads Tec ???

tecumseh:
    I have a small collection of some here from my family's farm. beyond that nostalgic connection... no I don't much interest in such stuff.