Snakes around hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Sep 6, 2011.

1. me2pl

me2pl New Member

Tec, what does your wife teach?

2kooldad: your wife was scared of a garter snake in her bath, but that's not as bad as finding a 1.5 foot centipede under your pillow! hilarious story, my dad got a great deal on a terrarium with a centipede inside, this was when I was really into tarantulas, so we took it home. one night, the cat was screwing with the cover, when I shut her out of my room, later that morning, we woke up to a scream, as my sister found it under her pillow. this centipede now is the property of the Chico State Entomology Dept.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my wife teaches Ethology (kind of behavior in a species natural setting)... early on she studied under one of the European fellows who won the Nobel with Von Frisch. so we both kind of have an interest in the natural behavior, population and habitat of wild things.

if you are plugged in (we are most definitely not) and watch cable stuff you can catch a short glimpse of my wife directly on National Geographics 'The Hunter and the Hunted Series' in a TV episode in regards to wolves.

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol....i'd freak out too if i found a huge millapead under my pillow.....but it would never have made it past my cat...shes a feline ninja.

Tecumseh...i just got the impression from your posts that you had an intrest in Native American stuff....im a flintknapper so thats why i asked.

4. me2pl

me2pl New Member

there are vital differences between millepedes and centipedes, millipedes are harmless, while centipedes are significantly less harmless

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

all i heard is the soft ones bite or sting....they all look the same comming out the other end of my cat....the hard ones (those are the millapeads right) come out after the rain here....the soft ones stay down in the leaf litter an i dont see them unless i disturb what they are under...like a board or 5 gallon bucket....those are the pokey ones right ???

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Another thing besides snakes that can harm beekeepers and i think do eat bees is Black Widow spider :eek: , they like to hide under the top covers.I haven't seen any this year but have in the past. There have been reported deaths from there bites in Mo., i have been bit twice by the Brown Recluse spider, but got to the doctor before much damage was done except discolored skin and some pain. :thumbsup: As with most things we do every day, if you don't keep a heads up you can end up in the hospital. :shock: Jack

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

This happened to my sister-in-law, except it was a remote outhouse, and a rattler. You'd be amazed how fast one can move with pants around ankles when the situation demands it.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

When I first started with bees I thought my wife would eventually join me in the apiary---almost 40 years have gone by and she still hasn't seen me open a hive, much less come to open one with me. :( The best i can get out of her on the bee affiliation scene is to have her bake honey cakes, and she's great at that. :Dancing:

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

About 40 years ago, when I was farming, the neighbor's son went to work in the big city of St, Louis, he met a girl and they were getting quite serious,

He brought her out to meet his parents, outhouse, Etc.

Being afraid of what might be down in the horrible depths, she commenced to kick the boards a few time, she dropped her drawers and set down.

I understand the scream could be heard for miles !!

Seems she had stirred up a large wasp nest.

They did marry, inherited his parents farm and installed in door plumbing

Murrell

10. me2pl

me2pl New Member

oh, no! that sounds unpleasant

11. me2pl

me2pl New Member

and, yeah, that sounds right

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

now that musta hurt....and i bet she thought the devil himself was in there....lol....EM....i bet those cakes are some kinda good too....now ya got me all hungry....but toast an honey butter is as close as ima get to honey cakes round here....black widow spiders are quite nasty...i havent seen any in my hives yet tho...we have 3 diffrent colors of them here...black, brown an a cream color...some have one hour glass an others have more....i didnt belive it till i saw it....but its true...i didnt think they could be anything but black.