snap dragon flowers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by smgchandler, Oct 22, 2009.

1. smgchandler

smgchandler New Member

can honeybees work snap dragons - hun has some on the deck and they sure like them but they seem to come and go away empty but maybe i am missing something

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Actually bumblebees are the only ones with enough body weight to open the snap dragon's " Jaws ".

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I listened to old bee keepers for years say the clover in the hay field at the horse farm didn't do much for the bees. I kept getting told their togune wasn't long enough. seeing bees on some one day I layed down and watched the bees chew tiny holes down near where the floret attaches to the body and get their fill of nectar.
    The very next month the American Bee Journal can out with a story that bees are getting more from crimson clover than you think.

So if the bee is smart enough to chew a hole in the clove I would think they would be smart enought to do it with snap dragons provided they didn't have an easier nectar source.

:D Al

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I also heard/read about insects making holes into flowers they otherwise can not feed. Is that honeybees or other insects?? Just wondering if they are doing the initial damage or just taking advantage of the situation.

Thank you.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

While there is ample evidence of honeybees chewing holes in deep throated florets like red sweet clover, and honeysuckles, the nectar sourse in snapdragons, if any significant source, would be in a thicker more protected portion of the snapgradon. Not to say if worked on long enough couldn't be done, not the same as chewing a hole below the nectar level in single walled floret as opposed to the thicker " neck ", portion of the Snapdragons, or so I would be inclined to believe. Actually think is pollen more then nectar with regards to bees value of snapdragons. :drinks:

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I believe there is a difference between Red Clover & Crimson Clover.
    A Google Search should verify.

Murrell