Snappers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Aug 21, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I have a pretty good size snapping turtle in my pond.

I also have cats that like to stalk frogs along the banks of the pond.

Also read that snappers will snag onto a number of different animals (young ducklings, etc.) and drown them if given the chance.

So has anyone ever heard or experienced a snapper grabbing onto a cat?

Thank you.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nope, never have. Of course, I've never heard of a cat going swimming,
    >>>> Willingly>>>> :twisted:

A snapper will take a duckling or baby muskrat while swimming, but I have never heard of one killing anything on dry land. They move too slow.

PS. They are great, bar-b-qued. Ask, if you want to know how to clean them.

3. rast

rast New Member

Never saw one after anything on shore. But, down here if you are going along a pond edge and see a couple of bubbles come up and a stringy thing waving out of the middle of what looks like a very small spring boil, don't stick your finger in it. It'll probably hurt. Softshell turtle will bury itself in water shallow enough to be able to stick its head up for air every now and then. Uses the bubbles and tongue for fish attractant.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I won't get too excited about the soft shelled turtles, they tend to be rather miserable up close and personal, but the alligator snapping turtle, in a far different matter, can weigh almost 200 lbs, and have a enormough mouth, and they do lay on the bottom with mouth agape tongue wiggling a bit, and like all snapping turtles they will bite the hell out of you and have the size and jaw strength that all snapping turtles are renoun for :shock: can take a few fingers or most of hand off if handled incorrectly.
    Barry

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

iddee,
    One of the better picnics every year is by a beekeeper in a place called mount holly springs, about a 30 minute drive from here. They catch 6 or 8 big ones (20 pounds or better) in traps. They make different kinds of snapper soup including a chowder, snapper nuggets, and other dishes. It's just called the "Jack's snapper picnic". Lots of beer! One of the "Don't miss" events of the year.

I know they hold them for a couple weeks in a fresh water tank on the edge of the creek to clean them out. Beyond that, I'm just showing up to eat and drink! :D

6. rast

rast New Member

Yessir Barry, I had a big one (alligator) in the bed of my truck one time and finally said it wasn't worth it and backed up to my pond and shoved it out with a shovel.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

How did it get in the truck? :eek:

I'm guessing massive amounts of alcohol and some friends..... :?

I had a big nasty in my truck once also. Same story....lots of alcohol,.....a dare from friends....said it was not worth it.......shoved her out .....her name was Terry. :twisted:

8. rast

rast New Member

Mine involved a trot line and one of those big dip nets with an extended handle.

Must have made quite an impression or not enough alcohol if you can still remember her name. :p

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Likely went back for seconds.... :roll:

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Hey, I never said it was before or after..... :eek:

Come on guys, it's not like we all didn't drive off at least once, when she got out to leak along the highway..... :lol:

I once did that until I realized her pocketbook was still in the car. Driving off, I could justify. Taking her pocketbook....well, I went back. She was not happy...... :lol:

Boy, this is bringing back some rather odd faded memories.... :?

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sure glad I've got your wife's email address. I'll be expecting a big check from you, just enough to make me forget to forward it to her. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: