Snow drones

Discussion in 'Bees' started by tecumseh, Aug 5, 2011.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

[attachment=0:syj093il]snowdroneweb.JPG[/attachment:syj093il]

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All right, let's have a story to go with the pic.

Is it albino, malnourished, emerged too soon, too high a pupating temp? What causes it?

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

entirely genetic in origin. being white eyed they cannot see and therefore never pass on this trait directly. there is a similar genetic combination that produces red eyes but them boys can see and they do pass on their genetic make up. quite startling to open up a hive and seen numbers of these poor guys all lookin' a bit like zombies.

kind of cool huh?

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Real cool, Tec.
    Now, playing devils advocate, How do you (we) know for sure that these drones are blind? I realize that with most animals-that is the indicator-but how do we know for sure?
    Great pics, though.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good question gunsmith. can't say I have done any test myself or asked my wife how you might even design a test to tell for sure. I can tell you I read in Wilson's 'Honey Bee Biology' the details of both the snow eyed and the red eyed drones. I am assuming (I know, I know... yep, yep, yep) that Mr Wilson knows his stuff about bee biology.

I think (can't recall all the detail) the snow drone eyes is a double recessive characteristic and the red eye is a single recessive. If the snow drone males did mate then you would see quite a bit more of both snow drone eyes and red drone eyes... that is the genetic probabilities involved would give you more of both so that neither combination would be rare.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

golly! First time I'm seeing anything like this. Could this be a from mutation that originated in the US?

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Russian bees from Chernyoble?

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Locals from Three Mile Island? :eek:

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

That's another possibility. All kidding aside, I need to get a copy of Wilsons Honey Bee Biology. I didn't even know such mutations existed.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

There is more than a few gem to glean from Mr Wilson's book. I would recommend the book for anyone who has more than a passing interest in honey bees.