Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
All right, let's have a story to go with the pic.

Is it albino, malnourished, emerged too soon, too high a pupating temp? What causes it?

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
entirely genetic in origin. being white eyed they cannot see and therefore never pass on this trait directly. there is a similar genetic combination that produces red eyes but them boys can see and they do pass on their genetic make up. quite startling to open up a hive and seen numbers of these poor guys all lookin' a bit like zombies.

kind of cool huh?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Real cool, Tec.
Now, playing devils advocate, How do you (we) know for sure that these drones are blind? I realize that with most animals-that is the indicator-but how do we know for sure?
Great pics, though.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good question gunsmith. can't say I have done any test myself or asked my wife how you might even design a test to tell for sure. I can tell you I read in Wilson's 'Honey Bee Biology' the details of both the snow eyed and the red eyed drones. I am assuming (I know, I know... yep, yep, yep) that Mr Wilson knows his stuff about bee biology.

I think (can't recall all the detail) the snow drone eyes is a double recessive characteristic and the red eye is a single recessive. If the snow drone males did mate then you would see quite a bit more of both snow drone eyes and red drone eyes... that is the genetic probabilities involved would give you more of both so that neither combination would be rare.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
golly! First time I'm seeing anything like this. Could this be a from mutation that originated in the US?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Locals from Three Mile Island? :eek:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That's another possibility. All kidding aside, I need to get a copy of Wilsons Honey Bee Biology. I didn't even know such mutations existed.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is more than a few gem to glean from Mr Wilson's book. I would recommend the book for anyone who has more than a passing interest in honey bees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts