So 2 deeps filled, super or 3rd deep??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ASTMedic, Aug 17, 2013.

1. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

So I'm sitting out here at my hive and just pulled my frame feeder and added the 2 undrawn frames that take its place. Those 2 frames, once drawn, will make a second full deep. Things are going strong and most frames have brood or empty cells that look ready. Colony strength looks good too.

So what should I do now? Go for deep 3 or drop a super on the hive?

I obviously don't want to prevent them from having enough stores going into winter but being my first year I don't know when I should start worrying about that. Advice please.

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ast
    question #1: what's in the frames of the first deep and what's in those frames in the 2nd deep? you said "Things are going strong and most frames have brood or empty cells that look ready." be more descriptive, is the queen laying in these cells? is there pollen and honey/nectar or capped honey?

question #2: is your next deep or super drawn or undrawn frames?

ps. it's getting too late in my season to be adding anything on, unless you plan to pull it, and feed back to them in the fall when they need it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

3. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Undrawn frames.

Don't see much pollen. Capped "honey" (been feeding syrup), capped brood. Had seen eggs last time but I didn't have the correct lighting to this time.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ast, based on your description, i would not add any undrawn frames in either a super or deep. they will not draw these out, and it is getting too late in the season. you need your deeps, every frame drawn, and to be full of bees, brood, honey and pollen, in both deeps. another question, why are you feeding syrup? to draw frames or are you in a nectar dearth?

5. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

To draw. The queen that came in the Nuc was failing and they had to supersede he about 3-4 weeks after installing my Nuc. So we just hit 2 built up deeps.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i would keep them in the 2 deeps ast.

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I'd go with what riverbee said. It's getting too late in the year to add anything. Let the bees finish with the two deep (brood) boxes, and over-winter them that way. Then in the spring-reverse the boxes, and add a honey super.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If they do draw and fill the last two added frames you can always pull a couple of more frames of honey from the out side and give them 2 more frames to draw out. Save the honey frames to put back in if the flow stops and the bees don't get everything drawn and filled.