So here's what I found and what I did

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Slowmodem, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Previously, I had a ten-frame medium full of honey, and two ten-frame mediums being drawn out with comb. I took the honey and extracted it. I put the extracted medium on top of the other two drawn mediums, figuring that they'd fill those two first and then fill the recently extracted medium.

The day before yesterday, I went back into the hive. The top medium is full of honey again, the two drawn mediums are still just drawn mediums.

The next box down is a deep and it was full of bees and brood and honey and pollen. The bottom deep was practically empty, no activity, just drawn comb. (I have a screen bottom board, and I was wondering if the light thing might have made the bees work in the second deep?).

Anyways, when I reassembled the boxes, I put the full, active deep on the bottom and the inactive deep with drawn comb on second (I know this probably isn't the best time to be swapping brood boxes, but I'm still learning, and I'm curious to see what will happen). I put the mediums back the way they were, the two drawn comb mediums and then the full of honey medium on top.

I think the hive is strong and there's no signs of moths or beetles and I'm happy about that. I know there's a saying: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I was really concerned about the inactive bottom brood box.

OK, I'm putting this out there for comments and thoughts. I may have screwed up badly, or I may have done ok. Being new, I can't forsee the possible repercussions of these actions. I hope the experts can shed some light on why the bottom box was inactive and why the bottom two supers aren't being filled with honey.

I'll put on my armor suit now and await your input.

Thanks in advance! :D

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

I'm not so sure having an empty deep and two empty mediums sandwiched in the middle is a good idea. I'd remove at least one empty medium until it's really needed.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm with Omie, in fact I would probably remove both drawn mediums and just leave the wet one. They will have some work to do on your second deep and if there is still room in your wet medium, go with that. If the wet one is almost full then put a drawn one on.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Ok, so I'll remove the two drawn mediums and let them work on the top deep. I have some BT, so I'll mix a little bit up and spray the two medium's frames. I'm hoping that a flow will start and I'll be able to get those two mediums filled, too. I'll have to keep a closer watch on them.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Well, heck. I forgot to post what else I found. I looked at every drone pupae (there were several pupae between levels) with a magnifying glass and I saw one mite. I guess that's not too bad of a count for a "not official" type count. I had planned on counting and treating if necessary after the honey is over with for the season. Am I on the right track with that?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They will ALWAYS store honey from the top down, and move the brood nest up next to the honey. Agreed, 3 boxes between honey and brood is WAY too much.