so how many here kept raising the bar?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zookeep, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Funny how once you start ya just cant seem to stick to a limit, 1 hive turns to 3, and before ya know it your back yard looks like the warehouse white boxes all over the place :lol: the itch for more hives, more queens, better queens, more honey, read something new now ya gotta try that also (zoo's got the itch bad).

so step up tell what ya started with, what was your 1st limit, and what ya got now.

Mine was 1 hive(started up again keeping bees as a fluke) was only gonna have the 1, now its 3 hives and 4 nucs and plan to have at least 20 to 25 by next summer

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i started with 4 have had as many as 80 right now I have about 40

3. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

where did the other 40 go?

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Started with 3 in 1965, had 72 this summer and have 65 now. I had some that were light and combined, and some that were robbed out. :roll: Going to my bee yards 60 miles north tomorrow to check stores, they were strong and heavy two weeks ago, but we never know. :confused: Jack

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I quit counting years ago. I just try to remember where they all are.
    I may have 2, then 60, then 20, in the same year.

I do removals, catch swarms, buy hives, make splits, and then sell nucs, hives, or whatever anyone wants.
    I give away a lot, too.

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Grandfather gave me the first hive, built to 25, went Marine Corps for 20 + years, back to 1 hive, started teaching with 1 hive grew to 40 for students to take home

7. Omie

Omie New Member

I figured out that it works well if you don't count nucs as 'hives'. lol!

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

some was winter losses and I sold off a few 80 hives and a full time job was a little to much to juggle

9. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

:rolling:

I just started with 1 and the very next day had 2. As I'm not even a month along with these, I'm hoping to keep it steady for a while. (Except, I'm thinking, I would like to try one of those KTBHs. Maybe get something ready for the spring and order a package...or make a split...or...maybe just get another Lang... :lol: )

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Skyhigh- just do a whole bunch of fun experimenting next year- make a couple splits and make nucs from them (keeps mite levels down too if you let them make their own new queens), order an extra nuc to cover your bases and mistakes. Call your nucs 'comb producing boxes' or 'brood booster boxes'. ;) Make an experimental top bar 'box colony' for fun too (also can be viewed as 'not a real hive' - lol!).

Think of all your colonies with less than 10 frames as 'experimental temporary holding boxes'- they can be viewed as not actual hives. That way, you can keep claiming you only have 3 hives and yet you can have fun with various other 'experimental colonies' piled here and there. :lol: Then in the Fall some will have faded out and the healthiest ones can be consolidated or just disassembled if you choose and used to boost your REAL hives for the winter. Or bundle them up against the wind and see if any survive the winter. If you go into winter with a couple of extra cards up your sleeve, you are more likely to have survivors in the Spring to work from.

I think the one most profound thing I have learned in my first 3 years is this:
    A beehive is not a permanent thing. Colonies survive and die, all workers die within 8 weeks and are replaced by an entirely new population of bees, queens get replaced or swarm off... your boxes may stay there appearing to be unchanged, but in reality the bee colony inside is a work in progress that is constantly evolving and changing, with or without your actions. So have fun with your boxes of insects and learn cool stuff by creating and un-creating new colonies!

11. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

OMG! You had me there for a moment. :shock: Until my son asked what I was hmm-ing about and I realized I was wondering where I would set up an "experimental top bar box colony" because I had already placed those smaller "temporary holding boxes" in the spot I'd originally thought to place a hive. You (crazy) bee people have to be careful with me, I'm very impressionable right now! :rotfl:

(Btw, I'm so going to be doing all those things... Be ready for many questions!)

12. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well sky if ya need a nuc in the spring let me know, your just a bit south of me and my wife and I would bring 1 down to you, we like any reason to go exploring, I have my hopes up that the tree hive queens are gonna be real good 1s

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

before I fess up here I should explain that I have 'in my prior life' kept a lot of bees for other folks.... so numbers are relative mind you.

about 2001 I went down to BWeavers and purchased three packages with the idea that I wanted about a dozen hives and fill some empty equipment I had in an outbuilding. a couple of years later when I had 40 my wife started making a joke about 'when are you going to have enough'. a few years later still in filling out the form for being properly permitted in Texas the state bee inspector ask me what was the maximum number of hives I planned to operate and I said about 125. I now have about twice that number + some.

in a relative sense my count is only half a semi trailer load of bees.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Started with five and had as many as 25 or 30 scattered all over. Have come to figure out twenty is the limit for me, just too many things going on. Doing cut outs, catching swarms, doing splits, selling bees is what I like to do, not so much into the honey part of it (I do occasionally extract a super or three). The bees come and go but the thrill and intrigue will always be there. I can still sit and watch them for hours on end.

15. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

I started off with 4 packages, they did well had several supers of honey by end of july, lost a queen in one hive then they superceded, I bought 4 hives from a beek that was getting out of it. Got 8 now in two locations. I planned on doing splits and doubling hives or more but store took all my attention and didnt have time.

16. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

When I first started April !st. 2011 with a 5 fr. nuc I bought,it was supposed to be 1 maaaaaybe 2 hives to help pollinate the veggie garden.I now have 7 :shock:

One of them is my first 3 frame spit,2 are 4 fr. splits with queens from Americas beekeepers bee workshop at U.S.F. Botanical gardens,and the rest from cut outs I did. :chased:

I think I got than an ITCH!!! :lol:

17. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

This is so funny! Totally enjoying reading this thread. :thumbsup:

@Zookeep...what did I say about my being impressionable? (Spring hits us here in February, doesn't it? LOL)

18. jb63

jb63 New Member

Symtoms include ,[but are not limitted to] wife asks where you have been and you reply with a strate face, I was out playing around with my bees.

19. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

down here spings a week winters 2 weeks falls a rumor and the rest is all summer lol, ys sky I like this thread alot, it fun to read and I started another nuc today from the buckfast hive.