So I'm wondering, what would happen...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Versipelis, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

If I did away with the queen excluder, and allowed the queen full access to the all the supers, what could I expect to happen? And why is this a problem?

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Not much difference if all the comb is drawn. If not the bees will draw comb in the supers better without the excluder. You might get a little drone brood in the supers, but once they've hatched the bees will fill it with honey.

3. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

I recently decided not to use an excluder. I understand that the queen won't cross a capped band of honey of about 2 inches. I use three mediums for brood which is a smidge taller than 2 deeps.

4. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

This may be a 'generally true' rule, but in my experience the queen will lay wherever she pleases. I've had queens cross entire supers of capped honey.

5. camero7

camero7 Member

I agree but it is generally to lay drone brood if there's no place for her to lay it in the brood chambers. That's why I put one foundationless frame in one of the deeps. I cut the drone brood out regularly to keep mites in check.

6. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

I appreciate all your replies. I was thinking more along the lines of having an unchecked "workforce" of bees and what are the associated problems with it? I can't help but think that a large workforce of bees would be a positive thing (more foragers = more honey etc.) . The only negative possibility I can think of is the lack of enough "queen substance" and thus, they would be more prone to swarm.

7. camero7

camero7 Member

There is much more to swarming than "queen substance". room for her to lay, time of year, etc.

8. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Many folks don't use excluders. IMO, if there is brood or excess pollen on the frame, it isn't mine to take, anyway.

9. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Camero7, what do you consider regularly?

10. camero7

camero7 Member

Once every 3 weeks

11. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

I guess I need to experiment.

12. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

No need to experiment too much. Camero7 is following and interrupting the known drone cycle (24 days).