So many questions, so little time

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by rw02kr43, Feb 25, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Hello. I don't even have a hive yet. That might change after tomorrow. Anyway, I have a few (ton of) questions. How far away do I need to keep from my hive most of the time? I have a dog and don't want her to get too close to the hive and make the bees mad.

Also, I was thinking of putting a fence near my hive to make the bees fly up to get away from the hive. How tall should it be? And if not a fence, can I put the hive up a few feet off the ground and have it work the same way?

Thanks
    Jason

2. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I keep a stool out by my hives and often sit right next to them. I'll come home from work on a sunny afternoon, and spend time just watching them come and go.

Your dog will stung once or twice and learn to stay away. No problem.

Yes, you can put up a fence. Whatever height you want. One of my friends just picked up a few of those six foot, pre-built fence panels and used those (he was looking to both provide a windbreak and make his hives less visible from the road).

Raising your hive can present problems. Those boxes get *heavy*. During a strong nectar flow, with several supers on, you can easily end up with a sizeable stack. Personally, I don't want to have be standing on a ladder trying to lift a 40-to-60 lb honey-filled super.

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Welcome! This will be my first time this year. I just posted about dogs and hives. Read some of the other comments. You have also come to the right place for answers. These people ROCK! If you are going to raise bees this year you better get buying them now. They will be ready for pickup around April. Where in Indiana are you from? http://www.abhoneyfarm.com/ they are in Star City. North of Logansport. Super people! I'm buying all my stuff from them.

4. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I'm from Paragon. Just south of Martinsville and close to Bloomington. We haven't ordered bees yet cause we don't even have a hive yet. we're going to take a bee class at the end of march, but the problem is that is the deadline to have bee orders in too. We seem to be running out of time and haven't really decided where we want to put all this stuff.

Jason

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You can always get a nuc and start a hive with it.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I bought 2 nucs 3 or so weeks ago. Won't be able to pick them up till April. Last week I bought most of my boxes. From this time till I pick my bees up I will ask every question i think of and read every book I can find! I also stare outside figuring where to put my hives.

Look for all my posts. I've asked many question. Good luck!

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

firstly with regards to a fence, bees will fly straight and level for as long as they can, then go up as needed, to avoid fighting the stronger upper air currents, if you don't want the incomming bees using you for head butting target practice, make a solid fence about 6 - 7 ft high, have a roll through gate so you can easily carry or tow a cart inside and remove the supers. I mentioned a specific height-- above normal head hieght, this forces the bees to fly over your head instead of into your head. I had a bench to place equipment and a cup of coffee to work the hives. The added benefit to the solid fencine is nosey neighbors won't see what you got there by all means on the gate post a warning sign for liability purposes

8. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

The wife and I were sitting within 3 ft. of our hives in the backyard today just watching and drinking coffee, our dogs slept at our feet(they learn real quick) as barry said a fence 6-7 ft. will do it. Jim