So tonight I learned how to make jam

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Slowmodem, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

First get lots and lots of sugar. LOL It is similar to feeding the bees!

Tonight we made peach, blueberry, raspberry and strawberry jam. There's a "bent can" store in town and often they have frozen fruit for $1/lb or less. My wife says making jam was kind of a Christmas tradition for her family, so tonight we did.

Put the jars and lids in boiling water:

[​IMG]

Mix some fruit into the sugar:

[​IMG]

Some of the finished product:

[​IMG]

More of the finished product:

[​IMG]

We heard pop and ping for a while tonight when the jars would seal. I can't wait to have some biscuits. It'll be tough deciding jam or honey!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It can seem like a lot of work but the rewards are worth it! Looks good. :thumbsup:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

How tasty was it Greg? Perry, I bet you could produce some fine blueberry jam with the access to those fresh fields up there...

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It tastes great! I think I prefer the peach. But they're all good.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greg,
    Can you supply a written recipe with quantities and instructions to fill out the beauty of the pictures? :thumbsup:
    Your method makes it sound so simple.

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Every year at the fair I get to judge fruit preserved with honey and jams and jelly's made with honey, 3 jars of different types in each entry. Most years there are about 3 entries in each class, that's !8 jars of divine goodness. I just wish that I could get the recipes that some of the people use.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My wife is going to look at making jam with honey. One of the problems is heating the mixture. That is bound to affect the honey and it's properties.

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Get your jars, lids, and rings ready. we put the jars upside down with the threads in the water, and we put the lids in the water. There's a can tong and lid stick with magnet that's very handy for doing this. My mother thinks that if you put hot jam in the jar, and it cools and the lid pings, it's good to go. My wife thinks that after you put the jam in the jars, you need to put them in a "water bath" for 15 minutes after the water starts boiling, then you remove the jars and when the lids ping, you're good to go. You can make the call on the method you prefer.

Now for the jam. This is from the recipe sheet in the Sure Jell Certo Liquid Fruit Pectin box. Depending on the desired fruit, it takes 4 or 4.5 cups of finely clopped fruit. Put that in a pot and warm it up. Add a dash or a squirt of lemon juice (helps preserve color and increases acidity level to aids in preservation). Add 7 to 7.5 cups of sugar. Stir and mix thoroughly and bring to a boil. When boiling (still stirring) add pectin and return to full boil for 1 minute (liquid pectin) or 2-3 minutes (powdered pectin - see instructions). Remove from heat and ladle into jars. Put on lids. Listen for ping or put into water bath.

Some fruits will foam a lot when heated. If pot starts to foam over, remove from heat and keep stirring.

This mixture is just like mixing bee syrup. It is hot and will burn you. If you get any on you, stick under cold water and flush.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated. :bow:
    Now I have to fiand a local store that sells pectin.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I hope you can find some. It is usually in the section with the jars and canning equipment. Good luck!

[​IMG]

11. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I hate the fact that most jam recipes call for equal part sugar and fruit. But if you don't add enough sugar you end up with a runny mess that didn't set, even if you use the "low sugar" pectin.

The solution is Pomona pectin.

http://www.pomonapectin.com/

"Pomona's Universal Pectin" is a sugar-free, low-methoxyl citrus pectin that is activated by calcium. Since it does not require sugar to jell, jams and jellies can be made with less, little, or no sugar. Some other possible sweeteners are honey, fructose, sucanat, concentrated fruit sweetener, maple syrup, agave, frozen juice concentrate, stevia, xylitol, Splenda and other artificial sweeteners."

They are a friendly company, you can call them up if you have questions, and if you look around online you'll find people who will never use any other type of pectin. We now use a little honey, no sugar at all, and I've never had any jam taste so good, and it sets right every time.

By the way, my wife said you mix the honey and Pomona together and mix it in with the fruit at the end, so you don't ruin the honey by cooking it.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That's good news for a lot of us. Thanks. BTW, glad to see you posting again, Dr. Buzz. :grin:

13. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I use Pomona's as well. It is good stuff. Kinda hard to find. I found a fresh food store that has it. "Whole Foods" is the name
    of the store. You can order on line as well.

Put a a teaspoon of butter in the Jam/jelly and that will cut down on a lot of the foaming.

I make Jalapeno Pepper Jelly, Muscadine, Blackberry and Strawberry. I grow all the fruits myself. I started selling them
    this year and ran out very quick. Sold about 80 jars of it. It was fun. The best part was when people called me back to reorder after tasting it. Made me feel good.

Here is a picture of my labels. I plan to use the same labels on my Honey Jars. I planted Peach, Plum and pears tress 1 year ago. I hope to have fruit this summer and can expand to those fruits this year.

2012-11-02_23-06-25_88.jpg

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I adore jalapeno jelly - recipe?

15. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Here the recipe I use. I normally skip the finely chopped bits. I like it clear.
    I also put about 4 or 5 drops of green food coloring in it.

I put a little butter in it as soon as I take it off the burner and stir. This cuts down the foam.

My favorite way to eat it- Put a little cream cheese on a Wheat Thin then a little Jalapeno Jelly on top. Umm Good

Ingredients
    1 large green bell pepper
    12 to 15 jalapeno peppers
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1 pinch salt
    6 cups granulated sugar
    2 packages ( 1 box) liquid pectin
    4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped

Directions

Combine the green bell pepper and 12 jalapeno peppers in the container of a food processor or blender.
    Process until finely chopped. This can be done in batches, if the peppers do not fit.
    Transfer the peppers to a large saucepan, and stir in the cider vinegar.
    Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the mixture through at least 2 layers of cheesecloth,
    and discard pulp. You should have about 2 cups of liquid.
    Return the liquid to the saucepan, and stir in the salt and sugar until dissolved.
    Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When the mixture comes to a rolling boil (one that cannot be stirred down),
    boil for one minute, then stir in the liquid pectin.
    Stir in the remaining jalapeno peppers, and ladle into sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
    Seal jars in a hot water bath 10-15 minutes. Refrigerate jelly after seal is broken.

16. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

I love making jams and jellies! I make them in the summer when the fruit is abundant and if I know I'm not going to have time to make a batch the day I pick, I just measure the squeezed juice and freeze it until I have time, usually after the canning and freezing season has slowed.

This year, I tried prickly pear jelly for the first time and it's pretty tasty. The texture is a bit different, but it will be on my Keeper list.

I don't have too many jars left. Most ended up in gift bags and boxes, along with homemade spaghetti sauce and pickles.

17. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Any thing done with pears has a different texture to it. even the fresh pears themselves.

18. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I do the same thing with the juice.

I hope to get a juicer for Christmas. I want to try making my jelly juice with it instaed of the way I do it now. Heat the fruit and crush and stain it. I am thinking this will be easier and maybe help tase a little as I wont be cooking the juice twice. Once when
    juicing then again when making the jelly.

Have you ever tried this?

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

If you get a juicer, be sure and buy a bag of cuties (clementines). That will be some of the sweetest juice you'll ever drink. It's wonderful!

20. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

I do pear butter and pear preserves, but this time, I did prickly pear from the cactus. Interesting...