Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Social Context and Reproductive Potential Affect Worker Reproductive Decisions in a Eusocial Insect
Eighty-four percent of the fertile bees introduced into a foreign nest (n = 6 colonies) had developed ovaries seven days later, whereas only 55.6% (n = 6 colonies, p = 0.037) did when reintroduced into their native nest. Social context therefore appears to dramatically influence fertile workers reproductive decisions, resulting in a fine tuning of their ovarian activity pattern to their fitness interests. As foreign workers' fertility was not affected by the presence of a queen in the host colony, fertility differences in bees introduced into their mother compared to a foreign nest are likely due to differences in queen signal influence, suggesting that foreign workers do not respond to the host queen signal.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0052217
Social Context and Reproductive Potential Affect Worker Reproductive Decisions in a Eusocial Insect
Eighty-four percent of the fertile bees introduced into a foreign nest (n = 6 colonies) had developed ovaries seven days later, whereas only 55.6% (n = 6 colonies, p = 0.037) did when reintroduced into their native nest. Social context therefore appears to dramatically influence fertile workers reproductive decisions, resulting in a fine tuning of their ovarian activity pattern to their fitness interests. As foreign workers' fertility was not affected by the presence of a queen in the host colony, fertility differences in bees introduced into their mother compared to a foreign nest are likely due to differences in queen signal influence, suggesting that foreign workers do not respond to the host queen signal.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0052217

·
Registered
553 Posts
Studies used Bombus terrestris bees.
Reference.com said:
Bombus terrestris

Bombus terrestris , the buff-tailed bumblebee or large earth bumblebee is one of the most numerous bumblebee species in Europe. They are characterized by their white-ended abdomens. The queen is 2–2.7 cm long, while the workers are 1½–2 cm.
Such bees can navigate their way back to the nest from a distance as far away as . Life Cycle

The first bumblebees to be seen in spring are the queens – the queen is the only bumblebee to hibernate through the winter. The queen is much bigger than the workers, which appear later. As soon as the queen has found some nectar, to replenish her energy reserves, she starts looking for a suitable site to build her nest. The nest site is usually underground; an abandoned mouse burrow is often used. Inside, the queen first builds a nectar pot, which will sustain her during bad weather. She also begins to build up a pollen larder, which will feed her brood.......snip

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read a little furhter to see -- "This possibly widespread reproductive strategy [3] has currently been described in several species ranging from honey bees [4][9], sweat bees [10], [11], stingless bees [12] and bumble bees [13][15], to vespine wasps [16] (Table 1)."

·
Registered
553 Posts
When I read the title, I jumped from 'A' to 'C' and ASSumed it was all about Apis Mellifera....I admit reading only the abstract and the Introduction. Made me think of the Cape Bee in South Africa that, when queenless, can lay an egg that becomes a queen -I think I read 'fertilized' egg, but that sounds really out there. I read (somewhere) that 1% of Apis Mellifera can do that, (thelytoky), its some kind of hold over from the day when honey bees were like solitary bees in that regard......Did I understand that correctly? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts