1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Saturday I decided to make a solar wax melter. Had old oak shelves I pulled out of a dorm at Purdue University. We were remodeling dorm rooms. Shelves are around 50 years old. Glass from an old storm window. Only cost was my time!

006.jpg 004.jpg

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

A neat job. :thumbsup:

Because of the local climate (damp), I have short legs on the bottom of mine and need a higher angle to match low sun.

Sounds like you qualify for the skip divers club. :grin:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

WOW!!!!! :thumbsup:
    That sure puts mine to shame. :oops: I made mine out of a TV cabinet and an old window.
    I don't know why everyone doesn't have one of these in their yard. Simple, and almost free.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

looks kind of punny...

5. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Nice job. That puts mine to shame.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

My first solar melter looked very much like your second picture. The only suggestion I would add is that you try to get a stainless steel or galvaized iron tray to fit inside the upper area with its lower wall being perforated. The wax goes through and the mess stays behind. A plastic container can be placed in the lower compartment to catch the meltings.
    The big differnce between our two melters is that you made yours and I bought mine. Guess which one is better and should last longer. :thumbsup:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow crazy, that's purty!!! oak shelves, boy you are going to have fun hauling that thing around..........:lol: you will love it! (the melter)
    to what ef said, you can also use some galvanized flashing to line it with.....
    here's my melter, similiar in design as yours, and how i melt and filter:

riverbee's solar wax melter post #17

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

very nice!!

I still have last year's plastic deck flower pot painted black on the outside, with a spare piece of glass, a bowl of water, a piece of hardware cloth, and an old tshirt that I set the wax on. The tshirt filters debris nicely. I keep having to touch up the black paint... Weighs, not enough for a strong breeze.

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'll stick a pan and a collection container when ready to use. For picture purpose I left it empty. Thanks ya'll!