Solar Powered Vent Fan

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ibeelearning, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I saw :shock: one of these in Maryland last summer:
    http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=honeybee;id=47;url=http://www.beecoolventilators.com/
    The master keep I was visiting was involved in research. He had test hives on scales. The results seemed very impressive.

Since, despite holes, proping lids, etc, I roasted my bees last summer, I am thinking about several things: moving to dappled light (caused other problems in past), building some sort of trellis thing over hives... and I am thinking about these.

Talk about hiding the reciepts...:cool:

Anyone have any experience with these? Is there a cheaper source? Is there a way to build cheap from scratch?

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

The sales pitch seems a little doomsday for your hive if you don't have one. Good marketing on their part but they surely don't have it all figured out concerning the woes of the hive like they appear to. I think one adjustment to a hive or its location simply fixes one issue and fosters another. For example, moving a hive in shade or dappled shade may increase beetles. The bees have adapted without such devices in nature and will continue to do so. They know how to control temps better than we think. Besides, if you have too many hives, buying one for each hive would be quite expensive. Just my honest opinions....It's a cool idea though...pun intended. :grin:

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I'm thinking in places where intense heat is a big problem in Summer (not usually an issue here in NY), why not make an insulated super like a quilting box attic to place under the top cover, in addition to a normal upper ventilation hole that the bees can actively use for ventilating/fanning. A dead air insulating space above the actual hive boxes, that bees cannot go into. This would equalize the temps inside and prevent the sun from magnifying the heat on the roof into the hive. This is instead of/in addition to only having an upper opening or propping the lid open.

5. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

I'd try some cheaper methods first. Screened inner covers is the first that come to mind.
    Are you also using screened bottoms?

6. jb63

jb63 New Member

A guy in our area used the fan off an old computer to accelerate the drying process of his honey.It was set up in the same way.And it did what he wanted it to,they capped the honey.

7. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I like both ideas: Omie's Attic (finally, a recycling use for old shallow supers...). You know, Omie, if it works, it will always be "Omie's Attic."

& tefer2's screened inner cover. Some fast web research suggests they have to be #8 screen to prevent sagging... and the bees will still popolize [is that a verb?] them up.

I am convinced heat was a major factor in my losses last year (emerging bees looked like bodies at Pompii). Screened bottoms and proping lids was not enough. I am going to have to do something different.

FWIW, though, the hives used in the fan study were on scales. While the yield increases were not what is advertised, they were still well north of 30%.