Solid honey?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by melrose, Apr 16, 2012.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

We did some bottling a couple of weeks ago. Our small bottles show a little more cloudiness than the 16oz. I went to pull some out yesterday, and all the 8oz are THICK, the honey doesn't even move in the bottle. :sad:
    I noticed a 16oz that was cloudy on the bottom, turned the bottle over and the bubble never made it to the bottom past the cloudy layer.
    What will remedy this short of emptying all those bottles, warming and re-filtering?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It is merely granulating/crystalizing, nothing unusual. Gently warming them will reliquify them. If you have labels already on the jars you will probably have to use a microwave (carefully) or pop them in your oven with the oven light left on.
    I am sure others will chip in with some innovative ideas. I have heard that putting them in your car with the windows rolled up on a sunny day will work as well.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Some years mine crystalizes faster than others, so I've learned not to label many bottles in advance. Leaving them in a car on a warm day works great. I've also wrap bottles in a heating pad.

4. melrose

melrose New Member

Is this a temp fix? Something I need to advise a person of when they buy some?
    Seems like it'll crystallize again on them,, some people don't understand that it's a natural process.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

put them in a pan of warm 110 degree water they will turn back to liquid

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep only a temporary fix, most all honey will crystallize over time, some faster than others.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

melrose,
    you can buy small labels 'educating' folks about crystallization, says something about honey crystallizing over time and how to heat it....

some great input here. i don't label a lot of bottles up in advance either, different honey's crystallize up quicker than others. i also place mine in a pan of hot water, with the lid on it, and repeat the process until it is liquid. another suggestion is if you have alot of jars, is to place them in a 5 gallon pail, with water up to the shoulders, and use a bucket heater around the pail.

glass is ok on lower temp in the micro.

plastic jars and microwave ovens = blow ups or meltdowns:lol:

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I dont use clear "pet plastic" bottles it dont take anything at all to become soft and the plastic off gas contaminating the taste of the honey. You will not have the problem if you use the opaque bottles

9. hankdog1

hankdog1 New Member

As for you guys with the labels aready on the bottles that's why ziplock makes the huge freezer bags put a few bottles in seal them up with as much air out as possible and put them in the warm water.

10. melrose

melrose New Member

Didn't know that about clear plastic bottles, why sell them for honey then?

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Not sure why they do but drapers bee clued me in on this one. We tested it and the pet plastic bottle do have a far lower melting point.

12. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

13. melrose

melrose New Member

I made the mistake of 'sanitizing' in some water on the stove top, the bottle shriveled to the size of a pack of gum as soon as it hit the water. :lol: