Solid or Screened Bottom Boards

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Walt B, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

In another post I mentioned that I had changed to solid bottom boards this year (a sreened bottom board with the "mite grid" installed and a hive beetle bottom board with the tray installed) because I had poor yields in previous years and figured I had "nothing to lose". This Spring collection was the best yield I have had, but I'm not sure it was because of the bottom boards, although they may have been a contributor.

I have heard pros and cons about the screened and solid bottom boards and wondered if there are any experiences anyone would care to share.

This has probably been discussed in a previous thread (probably years ago?), but with new forum members, it would be nice to hear everyone's opinion.

Walt

2. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

WOW! 34 views and no replies? I think when the members left to go to Worlwidebeekeeping.com, they killed this forum. Adios.

Walt

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well Walt, I have little time for forums but after you dropped me a note the other day I came back. Maybe you should drop some more notes.

Gypsi

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I have good success with my poly nucs and screened bottoms. I have only used screened bottom boards on a few hives about 5 years ago. All died in the winter, never used them again.

5. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I am slowly migrating to solid bottoms-- like Walt figured nothing to lose. FatBeeMan holds there is less condensation, and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt for my Alabama hives. I am also migrating to Kelly manufactured hives that have the bottom boards you can flip and have the reduced entrance for winter.

6. camero7

camero7 Member

I like the 3/4" year round. I do use some entrance reducers during the spring but like the open bottom in the winter with a small top vent.

7. bee stung

bee stung New Member

I used a solid bottom the first year ,, then went to screened bottoms and have never put a solid in after ,,, I have great luck with the way I put them to bed in the fall

8. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

I am also just returned. I do not use screen bottoms. Solid bottoms only. I also only use 3/*" entrances all year long. After trying out some variations of upper entrances to maintain good ventilation, especially over winter, I have decided to use a 3"8" upper entrance opening on an inner cover.

9. Gypsi

I will put sticky boards under my screened bottom boards after Tuesday, when my helper the bees hate will be here. They hate him worse if I make any changes to the hives before he comes.

10. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Thanks for all the input. Think what I'll do is just keep the "sticky boards" on the screened bottoms all year. If there's a problem, I can easily remove the sticky board.

Walt

11. Gypsi

I just wish I'd have gotten my stickies back in. Getting cold here tonight. Went to my bee meeting instead of getting stickies in and checking on lot chickens...

12. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

I couldn't find a bottom board that took a sticky, so the other day I used one of the ones I made that has a tray for oil to snag SHB. I just slid the empty tray in. That should work for a solid bottom board. Right you are, it is getting cooler at nights. Was down to 50F here last night.

Walt