some advice please

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by XLB, Nov 24, 2009.

1. XLB

XLB New Member

Hey every one.
    I was wondering what the best way is to make money on the bees. A couple things I'm interested in is pollination contracts and cutouts/ trapouts, but I'm fifteen years old and have a limited form of transportation much less a trailer to haul bees to a field and am somewhat ignorant about the prices and what to charge for what service. So, I was wondering if you guys could give me a little advice and direction here, any comment would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, XLB

2. rast

rast New Member

My best advice is for you to get with Iddee. If you could be "associated" with him in ya'lls area, it would be a feather in your cap getting started. You have to have a lot of hives for pollination.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

>>>>I was wondering what the best way is to make money on the bees.<<<<

It's simple. SELL THEM, and get a job. :twisted: :lol:

Next best way is do extractions, then sell them.

Third best way is raise bees and queens and make millions, like Bjornbee. :eek:

The way to loose the most money is to pollinate and sell honey.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The best way to end up with a million dollars in anything agriculture related is to know when to quit. Start out with two million and when you get down to one million QUIT, now you have ended up with one million.

The ag business is just too much weather related to beat the odds every year.

Check with your local ag extension office to see if they are running any programs for bees in your state. We have one here that offers some monies for beeks to expand and upgrade their operationns.

I would agree with Iddee on cut outs and removals and then selling bees. As much as I love honey I can not seem to get it to pay for itself, must be eating up the profits.

G3

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

15 years old... my what a wonderful age. I think at 15 I had a dozen or so hives nestled in the central florida citrus.

in about a year you should be able to drive I would guess. bee removal looks to be about the best game in town. it is a lot of hard work and not everyone will apply for such a sweaty task. do your marketing ahead of time and figure out the time required and a FAIR price* for performing such a service.

if you have never done a removal do one or two with iddee or someone local. carry a watch (timepiece or stop watch) and a pen and pad of paper and take notes on the materials and time required from the front to the end of the job.

*fair price is not the same thing as cheap and from the get go should include a reasonable price for hired labor, materials and an acceptable profit.

6. XLB

XLB New Member

thanks for all the advice y'all !! on occasion my curiosity gets the best of me and I can't help but ask. :oops:
    anyway, thanks everyone!! :D

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

XLB,

I hope you haven't been too discouraged by the dooms day comments. Their just trying to be honest with you.

It's hard to make alot of money in bees, but you can make a living, if you don't need a high standard of living and you don't mind working hard. My advice to someone of 15 years of age is to get a couple of hives and learn all that you can. If you enjoy beekeeping, you may find a way to make it into an income generating proposition. Notice that I didn't say profit making or profitable. It can be profitable, it just takes a long time.

I recall one time bemoaning the fact that it seemed as though i wasn't making any money doing something I enjoyed doing, beekeeping. My friend said that I should keep at it and then sometime after the kids were all grown up and out of the house I shoud start to see an improvement in income. That sure wasn't the answer that I wanted, but Jon is a realistic sort. I guess that's how it went for him.

Get a couple of hives of bees and a mentor and have a good time learning about bees, life and BOOKKEEPING, or whatever you might enjoy doing that will pay the bills. It's a trip, enjoy the ride.

8. rast

rast New Member

XLB,
    If you are like a lot of us were, you don't want to hear this. Get an advanced education while keeping bees. I enjoyed working with my hands and am very mechanically and engineering inclined. I chose not to go to collage. My wife is one of the best with figures and spreadsheets you ever saw. She chose not to go to collage. If we both had we would be retired and just keeping bees for pleasure instead of wanting a retirement income from them for a few years.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

XLB is smarter than most of us. He has chosen his career. Where we work 6 days and are off one, he will be working one day and be off six. He's a minister. :thumbsup:

That's why he's looking for more things to do, with all that free time. :p :lol:

10. rast

rast New Member

Well that is great to know. Once he gets out of seminary and gets a church, surprise , it's 24/7. I hope he does.