Some Bee Stuff that Must Be on Your List before St

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by beesupplies, Jun 8, 2010.

1. beesupplies

beesupplies New Member

If you want to succeed in your beekeeping business then there is a need for you to include some bee stuff in the list of the things that you need to buy. These stuffs are needed because they are the ones that can make your tasks easier and they will also serve as your protection in case the bees will attack you. As we all know, bees can be dangerous once they feel that they are being provoked. You will be safe and you will be able to perform your duties without any hassle if you will have these stuffs.

Harvesting honey can be one of the most enjoyable yet most difficult parts of being a beekeeper because this is the part where you will really get close with the bees. You must be aware that a colony is filled with numerous bees and you might get stung by them if you will just get the honey in their colonies without having anything that could protect you. Aside from the protective stuffs, you must also have these equipments that can help you in harvesting the honey. This article will focus on the stuffs that are truly needed so that you will be safe and your beekeeping business will be a success.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Welcome to the forum. I believe everyone should start with the basic items they need to keep bees. A smoker, veil, hive tool, and Maybe gloves. Once they are into it for awhile they can then figure out what they need and purchase it. It will be interesting to hear comments on this. I for one after several years of beekeeping think a nuc box is one of the most important tools. There will be others who believe other things are more important. this is going to be a fun post. i am looking forward to seeing the answers givin

3. Omie

Omie New Member

It's good to have bee stuffs.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Most important is the protective gear when removing bees and comb, totally disrupting the hive.

[​IMG]

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Yeah, the bees are terrified of ladders. Good thing you put it there!

I think you scared the bees off with your outfit.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I find that taking off the crop is about the easiest thing I do... a fume board and a bit of Fisher's Bee Quick certainly makes the task simplier.

7. old-dog

old-dog New Member

Iddee just shocks the bees into submission

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Even if a bee didnt die when it stung you. They wouldnt sting something like that coming at them for fear of what would happen :yahoo:

9. Chickm1

Chickm1 New Member

AN old Cajun told me he takes his shirt off because the stuff under his arms is a powerful bee deterrent.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well Chick with them old Cajun (for the politcally incorrect Coon A--) it is likely the residual effect of the hot sauce they put into everything. kind of a new way of smokin the bees.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

No joke, I have that same ladder... and man I love that ladder. It's been my best friend this swarm season. I can't imagine not having one now.

12. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

It's sp hot where iddee works that w/out the shirt the bees just slip off of his wet body. Having a shirt on would give them something to hold on to to plant that stinger.

If a ladder is needed then the bees are higher than my tolerance for fear of falling. One reason I don't spend time doing removals. I don't even remove them from my own house. My wife won't pay me to do it.

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I definately understand that. In my younger days I fell off a 20' extension ladder onto a concrete factory floor and broke my right femur. That was 10 years ago and I can still feel the lump on my leg. I don't take chances on ladders anymore and make sure the ladder has solid footing and isn't leaned at such an angle that it won't slip out from under me.

14. the kid

the kid New Member

I always take my shirt off when i get around the hives ... I don't tuck it in, and have found that bees like to crawl up under and when the shirt gets a little tight ,, they sting ... this way I know when , were and how many are on me ...