some nut job

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have a ad on craigs list about saving bees and moving them from homes and such, I just got a email from some nut job gonna report me to the state about killing bees without a license guess its some bug spraying company I dont know, but is removing bees from homes not legal or something? my ad says I will never kill bees unless theres no other choice.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Someone from florida will chime in im sure but I have read heated debates on other forums about doing be removals in florida and its legalities. I would advise checking with the local extention agent or bee inspector

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, I run a company called L B Custom, I do remodels and houses, and can legally remove the hole house from around the bees and no bug spraying moron can tell me otherwise :rolling: funny thing is these ant/cockroach killing people are a dime a dozen down here in florida and if this guys gotta complain about some1 removing bees(guess its hurting his cash flow) then maybe he needs a new line of work :D

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Smile when you say that...........

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Maybe he is honing in on the "kill bees" part as acting as an exterminator without a license?

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well if thats it I cant wait to see what my lawyer does to them when they try to bust me for a can of raid thats the most powerful bee killer I carry in my wan, and thats for wasps on the jobsite :D :rolling: :rotfl:

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Yep, my guess is he is trying to scare you into removing your Craigslist ad because he's afraid you will cut into his exterminating business by removing them instead of killing them.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Personally, I think this guy's barking up the wrong tree.
    I would never mess with someone who titles a thread "some nut job!" :shock: :lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Jim your probably right and Iddee I take it you spray things? well theres a big difference between exterminators (if thats what you wanna call them) in florida vs north, there are as many of these bug guys down here as there are bad bugs to spray, and 90% of them seem to have there heads stuffed in a dark area, didnt mean to offend you, Im sure some of the other florida guys down here can tell you the same.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

no offense here Zookeep... as an old resident I would say of Florida that the place has always been just a bit different. we had much the same problem here a few years back via exterminators complaints. at that time removing bees without an exterminator's license was clearly illegal. now this has been altered since the state bee inspector can issue a removal license (there is some small cost... not sure of the $ amount) that allows folks that want to remove bees (and not use pesticides as might an exterminator). I think here you also need to have 1 hive to qualify yourself as a beekeeper to obtain the permit.

12. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Zoo,At the present time I no longer have an ad on Craigslist(much going on with bee removal around here at present),but when I did I had all kinds of the usual Craigslist wackos with their goofy emails,along with a couple the same as you're describing.And I agree with the others here that mentioned it's most likely an exterminator trying to get more business by running you out of town.I didn't hear anymore from the ones that threatened to report me after sending them a copy of my Craigslist ad should they needed my services in the future :lol: .Never heard a word back from either of them,or the bee inspector.Also when the state bee inspector came out to my house to register my hives last May,I told him I had got one of my hives from doing a removal,which he complimented me for saving them,I'm sure if it were illegal to remove bees and that you needed a license to do so,he would have said something then.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, I don't spray. I don't kill a hive for any reason. If it can't be removed, I suggest calling an exterminator. The exterminators in the area give me 90% of my calls, so I don't fight them. I work with them.

PS. I have always believed sugar catches more flys than vinegar.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have a few exterminator companies who have me on there call list, and every year i have to call a club member to take care of some of the calls. Seems like when i get one call, i'll get three or more at the same time. These companies don't want to kill the bees,but will if i can't take care of the problem. (that hasn't happen yet :thumbsup: ) It all comes down to the people your dealing with (the good, the bad, and the ugly :mrgreen: ) Like iddee, i've never sprayed a hive to kill it, but did burn two hives years ago of those little german black bees that would attack you as soon as you got within a 100ft. of there hive. Got so mom couldn't hang out the clothes or kids play in the yard, but we did have a wienie roast one night. :lol: Jack

15. rast

rast New Member

Hmmnn, could it be other bee removers trying to scare the competition. :dontknow:
    The only Fl. law that I know of that could pertain to removal is transporting uninspected bees and that's really splitting hairs. The way around that is have your inspection paperwork from your other hives with you and don't volunteer you just removed them.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

kind of the same thing was happening this summer, there are several keeps that post on CL in the farm/garden for sale section (yeah I know not the right place really) and we kept getting flagged over and over. Had to move over to the farm/garden services section (seems like nobody looks over there though).