some odd info

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I was talking to my local bee inspector, he asked me where I got my hives and I told him from cut-outs, he told me to requeen every hive with ordered queens from a Italian supplier for 2 reasons, 1) cause the hives I have are from swarms and they produce hives that swarm all the time its in there genes, now I know that bunk. and 2) cause I may end up with some AHB genes mixed in, any queen i order could have that as well, if I monitor my hives and only breed drones and queens from the hives I like best the AHB genes should not be a problem, this is the same guy Im waiting on till sometime next month to inspect my hives, sounds like a nice enough guy but talk about stone age ideas.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

That is the Florida State recommendations.
    Swarm queens are the old lady with reduced pheromone, good idea to replace.
    Florida commercial queens are tested for AHB. I worked some of the samples in Gainesville when I was studying.
    You need to breed 100 drones for every queen you hope to mate and keep the drone hives 50 to 100 feet from your mating hives. This will reduce, not eliminate the AHB drones mating with yours.
    Artificially inseminated queens used the AHB semen 90 percent of the time. The AHB population will come out at the begining of her laying.

3. rast

rast New Member

Your inspector was following his boss's (Jerry Hayes) written script. Just keeping his job.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

aaa that makes sence, just saying what he has to, thnx for the info guys.

5. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

Different state, different advice - my inspector said, don't bother with bought queens, make your own.

JC