Some Sad News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slowmodem, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I remember listening to the radio one night back in the 70s and hearing, "one, two, three, four....." That was one of the greatest songs I'd ever heard and motivated me to learn how to play the slide guitar. I just learned today that J. J. Cale died Friday of a heart attack. He influenced countless musicians and was one of the best songwriters (Cocaine, After Midnight, They Call Me The Breeze, etc.) that nobody ever heard of. He is credited with starting the Tulsa sound, as he was from Oklahoma.

RIP Crazy Mama

2. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Saw that in our paper- Tulsa World- was a great musician and songwriter.

3. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

One of the great songwriters of our time, no doubt.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Sad indeed. I bought an old LP of his just a couple of months ago. Also bought the CD Road in Escondido when it came out a few years ago. He sure wrote some mighty fine songs that played on every bar juke box.(Cocaine)

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The story I heard was that Leon Russell (also from Oklahoma) was playing in Mad Dogs and Englishmen, and that's when he told Eric Clapton about J J Cale.

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Leon Russell...that's another great one. He's a favorite of mine too. I've seen him perform a couple of times in the last couple of years. He still has the chops too. He can sure write a love song. We girls love a good love song.:smile: Leon Russell 005.jpg

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I had tickets to see him last May in Maryville, TN. His show was the day after I sprained my back and I didn't get to go. :( He won't be touring too many more years. I was sad that I couldn't go.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

What a shame you missed him. That was my point too. He won't be touring too many more years. Although he strikes me as the type that doesn't know any other life. The first time we saw him, he walked with a cane and remained on stage for the entire show. Russell even told the crowd that the last song was his encore. He wouldn't be leaving the stage only to return. Then we saw Russell about a year later and he was walking much better without the cane. I think that first time he might have still have been feeling the effects of his brain surgery.